Did my box design fail me?

phemps
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
PA
ok so a little background. The car is a 2007 chevy impala. I had an AQ hdc4 18 in the trunk in a box i thought to be not quite optimal, (it was just a temporary setup until i picked up something else) the box was ported to the rear with the 18 facing up. It got pretty nasty but from what i had heard sub and port back in this vehicle is the loudest configuration. Enter 2 tantric HDD 12s that i picked up and the new box i made for them. I figured given that the 12s wouldnt have much less cone area, more motor force, and heat disapation, as well as being able to do port and sub back i would be at least as loud as the 18. Well i am not satisfied with the reults in both loudness as well as sound quality/ response. Its loud but not nearly as loud as the AQ was and although it sounds slightly better its still sounds pretty sloppy and to me it almost sounds like the box is too big and the subs want to unload. I shot for 5 cubes net, 15 sq inches of port tuned to about 34. According to my math I ended up just a bit over 5 cubes and tuning should be correct. Any ideas or input on this would be great, i will upload some pictures of the box as well as dimensions when i can

---------- Post added at 02:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

[quote name='phemps']@NASTY08IMPALA; you have this car, any insight? also do you know how close the box to the trunk lid works the best in here?[/QUOTE]

That port looks a lil big to be 15" per cube ..and yea u have it to far from the trunk...4-6" works best ..other than the port being odd looking the box looks fine..play with the box placement and see if it helps

How much power?? I have played with a few HDDs and they like pretty small boxes
Crescendo bc3500 nominal impedence of a half ohm. I plan on strapping another 3500 eventually so ill probably have to go smaller anyway, but i was recomended around this size

That port looks a lil big to be 15" per cube ..and yea u have it to far from the trunk...4-6" works best ..other than the port being odd looking the box looks fine..play with the box placement and see if it helps
I figured it would be better farther back, it was just how i had to have it with my wiring as is. The port is 6x12.5 so im at about 15 sq in per cube

That box size is fine ive seen many perform well in that size
I have the base model and my seats dont fold down, i cut out a large hole in the rear deck and im wondering if thats why the sub up port back 18 setup got so loud

i love large cone woofers. now that ive had a few 18s id never want to install anything smaller

daily driving playing at 50 t0 60% total volume capacity i realy enjoy the effortless quality sounding bass coming from large cone subwoofers

i cant wait till i finaly get some 21s or 24s to mess with

Oh ur seats dont fold ..uber gay
yeaa i figured if cut out the rear deck and fiberglassed a new one with the middle as acoustically transparent cloth that would help out with that alot.

i love large cone woofers. now that ive had a few 18s id never want to install anything smallerdaily driving playing at 50 t0 60% total volume capacity i realy enjoy the effortless quality sounding bass coming from large cone subwoofers

i cant wait till i finaly get some 21s or 24s to mess with
I don't think ive ever preferred a single large cone sub over multiple smaller ones of similar cone area

I always prefer large cone woofers as well. I have never really heard a 2 12's setup I like as much as a single 18", but that's just me. Oh and I have played wit A LOT of different woofers of all makes/models and sizes. I almost always shoot for the bigger drivers, they seem to have more of a "Command" presence where the multiple smaller drivers seem to have to work very hard to equate to the larger subwoofers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.