Did I wire my subs correctly?

Participant count
  • Participant list

xander37
10+ year member

I used this diagram Rockford Fosgate® - Woofer WiringWizard to wire my subs for my amp. It's is a 1200 watt rockford fosgate prime series with a birth chart of 1390 watts. I'm running it to 2 sundown audio 12's at 2ohm impedance with series/parallel wiring. At least I think it is.

When I wired the speakers, I cut the wires that run to my amp in order to connect the positive and negative of the other speaker and used crimps to connect them. I then connected the wires to the two coils on the inside of my box which connects to two coils on the outside of the box. Finally, I used more wire to connect the coils on the outside of the box to my amp. Does it sound like I did it right?

The reason I ask is because it doesn't sound that loud. When I get out of my car and shut the doors it sounds softer than my old kicker cvrs 150 rms with a 300 watt kicker amp setup. Another related question I have is about the speaker wire itself. I had some 18 gauge speaker wire laying around that I used, could this be what is making them sound weak?

If your subs are DUAL 2 ohms and you wired it like option #2 you should be getting about 900 watts out of that amp........If your subs are dual 4s then you have a 4 ohm final load and are getting probably 400 watts..............If they are dual 4s wire all of the positives together and all of the negatives together and run than to the amp...that will give you the 1 ohm load you need to get 1200 watts

If your subs are DUAL 2 ohms and you wired it like option #2 you should be getting about 900 watts out of that amp........If your subs are dual 4s then you have a 4 ohm final load and are getting probably 400 watts..............If they are dual 4s wire all of the positives together and all of the negatives together and run than to the amp...that will give you the 1 ohm load you need to get 1200 watts
They are dual 2's. I wired it like option #2. For some reason it sounds weak AF.

What are your amp settings? Is this a ported enclosure?
I haven't set my amp settings properly yet but even with the gain all the way up it sounds soft. I played late night tip by 36 mafia as a test. It sounds pretty good inside my car. Rattles the throat and somewhat stings the ears but once I got out to hear it, it sounded lame. I'm using this box made for 2 12" kickers with final 2 ohm impedance so yes it is ported.

dc1012.jpg

I know it may be fairly obvious but have you insured that they are in phase? If everything is wired as you stated it should have some fairly decent output.
To me nothing is fairly obvious. This is my first self install. I'm not sure of what you mean by the term phase.

Am I just expecting too much?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.