Did I get ripped off? (AD Designs p400.4 Amplifier? iBeam Backup Camera? etc.)

dsc106

PNW
Hello,

I just did a car stereo install where I ordered the following:

- Alpine ilx 207 7" carplay unit

- Morel Tempo Ultra 602 speakers (front only)

- Morel MPS4.400 Amplifier ($399 Retail)

- Alpine HCE-C114 Rear Backup Camera

- Sound Deadening in Doors

At the last minute, after being told the amplifier would fit under my car seat, it would not. I did not want to mount it in the trunk. So, they apologized for the inconvenience and said they could sub out the amplifier with a comparable amplifier that WOUlD fit under the seat, at no extra charge, even though the amp cost more. They provided me:

AD Designs Mini P400.4 ($499 Retail)

http://www.adcaraudio.com/store/prem...rs/mini-p900-6

Looks fine, specs seem fine, etc. Except, Morel is super well respected, but AD Designs i can find hardly anything about, and had read online some people saying that it is just repackaged and grossly overpriced Alibaba from China.

Is this a good amp? Or was the Morel that I let go a much better amp? I didn't pay the price difference, so I'm not asking so much if it is overpriced, but how it is quality wise in general, and how it compares to the $400 Morel, and if that one would have been better?

I also ask because there were some occurrences that caused me to not trust the shop I worked with. Initially after negotiating a final price, they tried to swap the amp for a cheapo $200 alpine amp on the invoice, which I caught, and they sheepishly backtracked on.

Then, after reviewing the final order tonight, they didn't ACTUALLY give me the AD Designs amp for cheaper, they swaped out my Alpine Bacup camera for what looks like a super cheap iBeam camera that can be had for about $40 from Walmart or Amazon:

iBeam USA TE-BPCIR

iBEAM, Vehicle Safety Systems

Which looks like a step down. And then when I caught this, they once again sheepishly apologized and refunded me another $100...

Super annoying.

How is that camera VS the Alpine?

More importantly, how is the actual amp?

never hear of that brand but it could be ok., looks like a copy of something i've seen idk maybe skar or american bass not sure.. lot of brands have exact same amp diff name..

AD designs is one of the newer companies trying to break into the SQ market, the sound engineer used to be the guy that runs pwk enclosure designs.

I'd say just stick to your original plan and gear and mount it behind the rear seats. Mounting it under the seat is bad airflow and space restrictive meaning your choices for good amps just went from 100% to 10%.

I would mount elsewhere but due to my business, I really need every square inch of trunk space (not an exaggeration). My main concern was if I could trust the quality of the AD Designs, and, if it was comparable to the Morel amp (I know it is more expensive, but that doesn't necessary mean much)...

Also that iBeam camera looks like crap compared to the Alpine... no?

AD designs is one of the newer companies trying to break into the SQ market, the sound engineer used to be the guy that runs pwk enclosure designs.
I'd say just stick to your original plan and gear and mount it behind the rear seats. Mounting it under the seat is bad airflow and space restrictive meaning your choices for good amps just went from 100% to 10%.
I remember that dudes youtube vids back in the day.

Seemed pretty knowledgeable about woofers.

Few weeks back I was over at Zed Audio (Stephan Mantz) Saturday to drop off my amp for repair. During are long chat him and I, I asked him if there was any new amps that he had designed or had any hand in designing. He told me and showed me 3 brands. Phoenix Gold SX2 line the Focal line ( believe it was the FDP line) , and

the AD designs. You can even see him in a photo on AD designs web site home page saying how he had a hand in designing the amps. So if you think the AD design amps are good well, all you need to know is Stephan Mantz Known as Zed Audio. He told me that all these amps were made rock solid.

Just found this video on YouTube on the AD Designs YouTube Channel about there premium line amps. In the video they even comment about Stephen Mantz (Zed Audio) designing the amps

Few weeks back I was over at Zed Audio (Stephan Mantz) Saturday to drop off my amp for repair. During are long chat him and I, I asked him if there was any new amps that he had designed or had any hand in designing. He told me and showed me 3 brands. Phoenix Gold SX2 line the Focal line ( believe it was the FDP line) , and the AD designs. You can even see him in a photo on AD designs web site home page saying how he had a hand in designing the amps. So if you think the AD design amps are good well, all you need to know is Stephan Mantz Known as Zed Audio. He told me that all these amps were made rock solid.

Just found this video on YouTube on the AD Designs YouTube Channel about there premium line amps. In the video they even comment about Stephen Mantz (Zed Audio) designing the amps

I like my ZED amps ...I haven’t tried the new stuff but I have plenty of the old school ZED

Few weeks back I was over at Zed Audio (Stephan Mantz) Saturday to drop off my amp for repair. During are long chat him and I, I asked him if there was any new amps that he had designed or had any hand in designing. He told me and showed me 3 brands. Phoenix Gold SX2 line the Focal line ( believe it was the FDP line) , and the AD designs. You can even see him in a photo on AD designs web site home page saying how he had a hand in designing the amps. So if you think the AD design amps are good well, all you need to know is Stephan Mantz Known as Zed Audio. He told me that all these amps were made rock solid.

What is quite nice is that they have series tuned bandpass design for their subs that models nicely. That's pretty cool. Price tag is pretty rough though.

there is a facebook page for unique/sq car audio and ive seen them mentioned on there. pprior to that, i had never heard of them either, but if ZED is involved, youd have to think that its not gonna be bad

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.