Did I design this Tline correctly?

galacticmonkey
5,000+ posts

Wants a button like that.
Tampa, FL
I did a quick read on 1/4 wave Tline design, and was wondering if I got it right. Heres a design I did for one of the cheap Elemental Design 12s. It has an F2 of 25hz I was told. So would this work? Throat length of 11.3' and a Throad width of 8"?

Tline.jpg

It depends on what you want it to do, just eyeballing the enclosure it'll "work" as in it'll make bass, probably more suited to HT use in a room than for in a car (it may sound a little bloated in car and lack upper bass punch) , for car use I'd shorten it up some, look at 7'-8' line length with that same line area or even a little larger, 1.2-1.3x driver SD, that'll give you a little more gain.

TL's are dramatically effected by loading in a car so you can get away with a shorter line length than the calcs/theory would suggest.

And, the line length is not based on the driver's free air resonance but rather its point of resonance in a sealed enclosure of the same size. That will almost be higher than free-air and will never be lower.

I'snt the throat supposed to be taperd down ? Or it this only on some designs to cancel out standing waves?

I created a t-line for one of my 10's (fs 25 or 28) i believe. Anyways it hits a hell lot lower then the prefab it came in... definitely a different sound.

I'snt the throat supposed to be taperd down ? Or it this only on some designs to cancel out standing waves?
You can taper it down, that can help smooth the response and decrease the length of the line you need, but at cost of output, an untapered line will have a higher output, you see all this when you start to use Martin Kings Mathcad software and model different designs.

For the most part standing waves aren't a big issue for bass TL's, especially car ones, most of our output happens below 100hz or so, the standing wave ripples are above that so with a decent low pass filter you won't hear them.

Oh, well I designed this to be used as a box for my room, with about 75-100rms. Just as something to test out and mess around with. Anyone know of any good designs that work well for HT? I say HT, but it will only see music if built.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.