did i blow my memphis mojo already?

Some bass knobs are a bass booster, some are a gain attenuator. Bass boost types can easily push your amp into clipping if not used properly. But the better style, gain attenuators, simply attenuate the gain from your current setting via the knob. In other words, you will only get the full output of your amplifier, at the gain position you have it set at, if the bass knob is set to max. Its a good design to use if you have an overpowering sub stage, like most people do here.
Agreed. I've personally never used the gain knob simply because every HU I've owned has had the ability to control the subwoofer output level. So if I want to ease off the bass I can do it right in there.

To anyone confused, with the attenuation type gain knob leaving it disconnected is the same as having it at max, it will not affect the amplifier.

yeahh i have a kenwood excelon XXV-01d (i think) and it has 4v pre-outs.. mated with an AP3000d on a sub that should take 4K easily.. no bass boost and gain maybe at 1/3 and the sub was wanging hard. gotta know about the details! its good that you came here to learn though. SPLaudio is doing my type X at the moment and can make that mojo a lot better than it is. you can go to realmofexcursion.com and download the frequency test tones. if you listen to rap, use a tone with a higher db rating so that the rap music doesnt bass boost your sub into oblivion.

good job using ohms law also. some people arent as inclined.

Agreed. I've personally never used the gain knob simply because every HU I've owned has had the ability to control the subwoofer output level. So if I want to ease off the bass I can do it right in there.
To anyone confused, with the attenuation type gain knob leaving it disconnected is the same as having it at max, it will not affect the amplifier.
my deck can control the subs level also, i just wanted to be able to adjust the amp more quickly instead of pushing a bunch of buttons (touch screen makes it kind of annoying)

Saturn AP doesnt send clipped signals, trash talk cause the amp supplies good power at the lowest price possible

so i was tuning my amp yesterday with a 50hz and 70 hz test tone. i wanted to use the bass remote to be able to control the sub faster and i found out that it only controls the bass boost dial. (with no bass boost on, and the remote in and all the way up the dmm was 29 volts and without it in the dmm read 49 volts) i added a little bit of boost (and reduced the gain a bit) so that with the 50 hz tone the dmm read 38 volts. i then used the 70 hz tone to set the lpf to where the dmm read 38 volts for 70 hz also.

Everybody says how bass boost is a no no but is it alright to have turned it up enough just to reach my desired output with the remote? ( my gain isn't close to being maxed out and the bass boost is hardly up). in other words is this safely tuned?

i did the same to my mojo. i had a 08 mojo and set it to where i thought it sounded good. turns out i was putting about 2k or more to it when the subwas rated at 1500. now i have the new line of mojos and they take 1750 but i used a dmm and i am giving it 1300. 1.) to be safe and 2.) thats the most my amp does at 2 ohms. rf t1500-1bd. live and learn like i did lol

i did the same to my mojo. i had a 08 mojo and set it to where i thought it sounded good. turns out i was putting about 2k or more to it when the subwas rated at 1500. now i have the new line of mojos and they take 1750 but i used a dmm and i am giving it 1300. 1.) to be safe and 2.) thats the most my amp does at 2 ohms. rf t1500-1bd. live and learn like i did lol
y'all did something wrong then, i had an 09 an 08 and an orange basket mojo,the 09/08s will take 3k clean all day in the right box i fed each one about 3k. and the orange quad coils will tak up to 4k clean daily boxed right. talk to the splhell he has the new cm cast mojos like you just mentioned, he said they are terrible compared to the older mojos and dont take nearly as much power bw hes the guy with 6 of the cm mojos

y'all did something wrong then, i had an 09 an 08 and an orange basket mojo,the 09/08s will take 3k clean all day in the right box i fed each one about 3k. and the orange quad coils will tak up to 4k clean daily boxed right. talk to the splhell he has the new cm cast mojos like you just mentioned, he said they are terrible compared to the older mojos and dont take nearly as much power bw hes the guy with 6 of the cm mojos
Why would the quad coil have more power handling?

digging this thread up from the grave:

Does the OP know that memphis mojos have field replaceable voice coils and that he could do it himself?

op knew that but instead he went with me for a 2500rms recone. 8layer flat wound tripple nomex spiders //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

and to beat all got it all done for bout the same as memphis field replacement but has a warrenty.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.