Did I blow my amp up?

Participant count
  • Participant list

bernie540

Hey guys. Novice question for you,

I got a Planet Audio 4000.1D Mono block amp, cheap but figured it would be enough for my L7 15 DVC 2ohm.

When I was hooking it up it was at night and I made a rookie mistake of hooking the positive and negative terminals reversed. It blew the fuses, and some smoke came out of the side seals of the amp. It still works, and definitely hits but I feel its underpowered.

To get the correct gain with my multimeter, it only matches correct voltage with MAX gain for 750RMS while it claims its 1500, but that could be Planet audio just exaggerating. (Hooked up for 4 ohm)

So for it to feel like my old 1500watt ARC audio, i Need to have gain to full and bast boost to almost 70% (which i prefer at 0).

Do you think this amp is blown partly, if possible? Or think thats just how the cheap amp is?

If its blown im returning to amazon so please let me know your input

Also any inputs on wiring it to 1 ohm, it claims its 1 stable but I dont know whether to trust it.

It will put out more power at a lower impedance but it is a pretty entry level cheaper amp. You have a solid woofer that is far and away out of the league of that amp. Get a solid amp for your sub and you will be very surprised.

I got a Planet Audio 4000.1D Mono block amp, cheap but figured it would be enough for my L7 15 DVC 2ohm.

When I was hooking it up it was at night and I made a rookie mistake of hooking the positive and negative terminals reversed. It blew the fuses, and some smoke came out of the side seals of the amp. It still works, and definitely hits but I feel its underpowered.

To get the correct gain with my multimeter, it only matches correct voltage with MAX gain for 750RMS while it claims its 1500, but that could be Planet audio just exaggerating. (Hooked up for 4 ohm)

So for it to feel like my old 1500watt ARC audio, i Need to have gain to full and bast boost to almost 70% (which i prefer at 0).

Do you think this amp is blown partly, if possible? Or think thats just how the cheap amp is?

Also any inputs on wiring it to 1 ohm, it claims its 1 stable but I dont know whether to trust it.
I tried one on a db drive wdx 5k.

It only produces 900-1100 watts on a good day.

I blew mine up from clipping it do death and it blew my sub also.

Id check to make sure your sub is good before worrying about the amp since you may end up replacing both.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

You are comparing an arc audio amp to a planet audio garbage amp. Whatever numbers these cheap junk companies claim, take out a 0 from the end and you'll get their actual power output numbers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.