Determining Box size for Power......

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
I have been working on getting my box built for my subs for a bit lol.

I know that running a smaller enclosure increase's a subs power handling(not sure how much). If im running 3k(before rise/voltage drop etc so its going to be alittle lower power) and they are 600 rms per sub.

Is there a certain way to determine how much smaller of a box you can get away with? Im running pretty much double the rms of the subs. The recommendations say 4.5cf-6cf.

Running this amount of power to these subs, how much smaller do you think the enclosure could be to handle this?

IIRC, the lowest recommend box spec is the one you should go with if you're overpowering.

You running the Obsidian 18s right?

I would go with the 4.5-5cf ea sub since each sub will probably see about 1000-1200 rms each after box/impedance rise and voltage drop

IIRC, the lowest recommend box spec is the one you should go with if you're overpowering.
You running the Obsidian 18s right?

I would go with the 4.5-5cf ea sub since each sub will probably see about 1000-1200 rms each after box/impedance rise and voltage drop
I had a design done that leaves me with about 4.7cubes per sub, but i figured out a different way i could do it and increase the enclosure size but i didnt know how much smaller i could go on the enclosure to fit the power

smaller box = increases mechanical power handling but doesn't help thermal power handling

Even with imp rise I'd be **** careful with those OA's on 3kw.

I did a 10 18's 4th a few years ago with OA subs. Power level was on the ragged edge, so all it took was one clipped song to unwind the coils on all of them....

smaller box = increases mechanical power handling but doesn't help thermal power handling
Even with imp rise I'd be **** careful with those OA's on 3kw.

I did a 10 18's 4th a few years ago with OA subs. Power level was on the ragged edge, so all it took was one clipped song to unwind the coils on all of them....

i will be careful. but i think they should be ok. about what size enclosure do you think i should shoot for

Enclosure should be based off your listening preferences IMO. You can always dial back the power vs building a less then ideal box for your application.

I wouldn't worry too much about overpowering those OA subs. The key is to keep the signal clean and monitor the subs when you're wanging on them. I've done two OA 10s in a t-line on >2K with no problems, so I'm sure the 18s will be fine. I would make the box as large as possible if it were me but then, I'm a lot more concerned with low end response than all out SPL.

Building the enclosure on the small side will just make it less effeicient making you want to turn it up more to get more output, so a better chance of frying the coils.. At least if you run into mechanical limits you can hear that happening, much prefer that to smelling my woofers, often too late by then lol.

I wouldn't worry too much about overpowering those OA subs. The key is to keep the signal clean and monitor the subs when you're wanging on them. I've done two OA 10s in a t-line on >2K with no problems, so I'm sure the 18s will be fine. I would make the box as large as possible if it were me but then, I'm a lot more concerned with low end response than all out SPL.
i see. the max i have is about 5.25 cubes per depending on how i build the enclosure. i have 2 different ways i can build it. the first way i designed it on the smaller side at like 4.7 or cubes but the other way i figured up give me about 5.25 each after displacements

the way you guys are explaining it sounds as if i should go atleast 5 cubes per sub

Building the enclosure on the small side will just make it less effeicient making you want to turn it up more to get more output, so a better chance of frying the coils.. At least if you run into mechanical limits you can hear that happening, much prefer that to smelling my woofers, often too late by then lol.
^^This.

That's if you have the space. If you don't, well then you will just have to test and pay attention to your subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.