Desigining a good sound system with no amp

cbfatm

Sydney
Hi,

I am a car audio amateur, I am thinking about designing a stealth system in my car, using the stock speaker sizes and locations.

The front speaker size is 5.25" and the rear door speaker size is 4". I will be using a pioneer deh-p5850 deck and I don't want to install an amp. What are the best speakers I can buy in those sizes? I have seen some on crutchfield in the $600 range that are 5.25" components. I want the best SQ possible, but given that I don't want an amp, is this going to be a waste of money? Or if you could tell me the best speaker that the head unit will be able to power, I will settle for that if anything more expensive won't benefit from just the head unit power. I'm basically trying to find the cut off point where Db and SQ are limited by the head unit.

Also would the 50x4 CD player be enough or are there players that have higher output?

Thanks

Without an amp you're not going to get a huge improvement over stock. Look for speakers with high sensitivity (output per watt) to get the most volume possible with limited power. There's no point in buying high end components if you're not going to amp them.

50X4 is peak power typical of modern head units. The rated RMS with 1% distortion (CEA-2006 spec) is typically 16 - 18 watts.

Any install can be improved by deadening and sealing your doors. That should be a priority for you.

Even a $129 PPI 900.4 will do wonders.
Come again? Typo on the price?

cbfatm, you have 2 options for amplifiers that are small enough to hide behind the dash and provide a good amount of power: Clarion's XC1410 and Alpine's KTP-445U. The Clarion will make 85W RMS x 4 with 2 ohm speakers. You can get 2 ohm speakers in those sizes from JBL and Infinity.

Come again? Typo on the price?
cbfatm, you have 2 options for amplifiers that are small enough to hide behind the dash and provide a good amount of power: Clarion's XC1410 and Alpine's KTP-445U. The Clarion will make 85W RMS x 4 with 2 ohm speakers. You can get 2 ohm speakers in those sizes from JBL and Infinity.
Sorry it is 179 but they do have sales that go down to 159

Thanks for your replies.

Could you give me an example of a speaker with high sensitivity (what to look for) that would suit my setup? The sizes are 5.25" (components) and 4" (coaxial, 2 way)

Thank you

You are not going to be happy without the amp. If I were you I would get a 4ch. amp get a set of coaxials like some type r alpines or something. Amp can be stealthly installed in your trunk or under the seat and get a sound that actually sounds like an upgrade.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.