Delco 300 amp alt, big three, is more needed?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I bought a Delco 300 amp alt and 0 gauge big 3. Is that enough for 2500 rms? I'm running a cheap soundstream pa1.6000d amp that's probably not that efficient and power hungry. The alt was $170 so i have no idea how it's going to perform. I hope it holds up until I can get a better battery. Again this will be a budget buy with an amg from rural kings. Does anyone know how that delco alt will hold up? What would you guys recommend for addition products that beef up an electrical power supply other than alt, big 3, and single amg battery under the hood? I know i can do an extra battery, other than that I'm lost. I havent found much solid information on other pieces of the voltage puzzle.

put it all together, set your amp with a soft clip, and measure the voltage at your amp terminals and see where you're at. if its dropping check for drop on the wire by checking voltage at the front by the batt/alt and see if theres a difference when its loaded.

you wont get 300a out of that alternator, you just wont. but it still might be enough, large case AD244's are known for making great power even stock. id bet you get ~120a at idle HOT depending on idle rpm, pulley, etc. 200a max when cold and at higher rpms. still not bad for less than 200

tl;dr make good connections and try it, go from there.

[quote name='Gatorade']Wow, 120 at idle, that's terrible. Oh well, you get what you pay for, and i can't pay for much. Lol[/QUOTE]

Not as bad as you think ! If like @wew lad stated you work at making the best possible connections and use OFC wire and make awesome grounds you should be fine. And do the voltmeter like @Jeffdechef said and voltmeters are cheap on eBay and work fine, I use them and checked them against my Fluke multimeter and only off a little - like 1/10 of a volt on mine and some are adjustable. But even if not there close enough for what your doing. If need be you could alway add another battery too.
Is that by chance a B&R alt off eBay ? I bought two to use when I killed my two singers and they did pretty well in fact one is in my stock location running my truck and I had Jonathan Patrick built me two hairpin 300amps for my stereo. The B&Rs were pretty cheap and I don’t put a lot of stock in them living too long but it’s been on there for about 6 months and it’s driven a lot of miles every day and so far no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought it from Jet.com. The only information it came with says it's a ad244 and it has a

rpm chart, and it's actually a 250 amp alt. Even the box looks generic. I thought this was interesting though, it says it reaches maxim capacity at 1200 rpms. Hmm, I'm skeptical.

Do ho alts go bad frequently? It's going into the vehicle i work out of.

I made a big mistake in buying whatever my work buddies said. They all claim to be car audio gurus. Lol. This was before I started researching on my own. After coming to this forum I realized they have no idea what they're talking about. Now I have half of my system bought and it's mostly junk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought it from Jet.com. The only information it came with says it's a ad244 and it has arpm chart, and it's actually a 250 amp alt. Even the box looks generic. I thought this was interesting though, it says it reaches maxim capacity at 1200 rpms. Hmm, I'm skeptical.

Do ho alts go bad frequently? It's going into the vehicle i work out of.

I made a big mistake in buying whatever my work buddies said. They all claim to be car audio gurus. Lol. This was before I started researching on my own. After coming to this forum I realized they have no idea what they're talking about. Now I have half of my system bought and it's mostly junk.
I’m sure it’s not all junk and if you bough from any type of reputable site/store, there is a return/exchange policy.

Do you mind listing all of your current and future equipment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AD244's are far from junk. I'm using two junkyard AD244's I paid like $80 for and I get much more idle output per dollar than most. Hot idle output is not easy to come by and you have the one of the largest case alternators you can get for a good price. Look at the different types of windings and you'll see why idle output costs money.

This is a great article but the images look broken.. https://www.dcpowerinc.com/dc-power-vs-competition

Soundstream Picasso 1.6000d.

$80 JVC hu.

Delco ad244.

Copper 0 gauge big 3 and amp wiring.

I still need subs, front stage, and amg battery, along with any other electrical upgrades that will allow me to run more efficiently. I don't know what to get in this area yet

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.