Deciding how many and which subwoofer to run

_Vince
10+ year member

What's up everyone, I'm going to cut to the chase and say that I have a 2011 Toyota Tundra double cab. I want to build me a wall behind front seats that houses either 4 15" or 6 12".

A local shop wants me to run 6 RE SXX 12" on 3 RE5000.1, but after researching I hear that they are no longer as top notch.

A friend recommends me 4 Sundown SA-15; will these subs run on 2 RE5000.1?

The compromise is to buy 6 SA-12" and put them on 3 RE5000.1.

Those are my main options right now; my goal is got hairtricks and moving air, but I do not want to do a blowthrough in any way. So which of these 3 options is the best way for me to go?

Get a sundown 4500 or similar amp vs 2 of those RE. I'm sure the shop charges a pretty penny for those and you could probably pick up a Sundown around the same price or cheaper. 6 12s on a 4500 should move some air! Obsidian Audio and Skar Audio are also budget friendly subs that will make a nice daily ground pounder. Make sure you have a very stout electrical system to back up the power and you should be able to reach your goals.

Get a sundown 4500 or similar amp vs 2 of those RE. I'm sure the shop charges a pretty penny for those and you could probably pick up a Sundown around the same price or cheaper. 6 12s on a 4500 should move some air! Obsidian Audio and Skar Audio are also budget friendly subs that will make a nice daily ground pounder. Make sure you have a very stout electrical system to back up the power and you should be able to reach your goals.
Sundown 4500 on any of the subwoofer options?

I want a daily ground pounder with the potential to be metered, you know what I'm saying?

and electrical work is going to be top notched, if I can get some feedback on KnuKonceptz vs Audio Technix vs Ultraflex welding

4500 for the 6 SA12s. 750 each should do nicely. (They can take a bit more but they are 600 watt subs) The 4500 would work on 4 SA15s also, but would have to be careful with the gains. As far as wire goes, any nice OFC wire should do. All of the ones you named would work, just get the OFC over CCA. If you have a budget in mind we could possibly give you other sub options also.

320 mechman alternator and 3-4 XS3100. should that be enough for this system?
Sounds good. Can always add another battery or 2 if need be. Depending on your budget, there are a lot of options for subs. I've heard that the RE subs have really gone downhill since they were bought out...

Instead of spending another 800 on batteries just get 1 batt and 2 alts..

If you want to do 5 kw I'd probably do 4 15s like dc sound level 4s and a 5.0k

I think you'd be able to hit 155 properly installed..

the sa 15s are ****** too and so is the 4500.

But for a few extra bucks I think you'd have an edge with the dc stuff..

On another note the Sd zV3 18s is one sick *** street beater that's another good option!

Instead of spending another 800 on batteries just get 1 batt and 2 alts..If you want to do 5 kw I'd probably do 4 15s like dc sound level 4s and a 5.0k

I think you'd be able to hit 155 properly installed..

the sa 15s are ****** too and so is the 4500.

But for a few extra bucks I think you'd have an edge with the dc stuff..

On another note the Sd zV3 18s is one sick *** street beater that's another good option!
No, you need batts for a set up like that. Alts do not discharge fast enough to power a system...

No, you need batts for a set up like that. Alts do not discharge fast enough to power a system...
No battery will discharge fast enough to reduce ripple current..

If your getting large voltage Fluctuations that a sure sign of a weak storage bank in the ps..

That my friend is where you need a capacitor..

No battery will discharge fast enough to reduce ripple current..If your getting large voltage Fluctuations that a sure sign of a weak storage bank in the ps..

That my friend is where you need a capacitor..
batts discharge must faster and produce way more amperage "on demand" then an alt, but guessing by your cap remark I'm sure you know this

Dual alts are going to be superior..

Adding batteries simPly putts a larger load on the alt.

If you have some ripple it's 10x more effective to use caps..

It nuturlizes the inductive lag from the alt..

I kind of got lost on the whole argument, lol. I don't mind it, I'll just like a little more explanation so I can learn what you guys are talking about.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.