Deciding between DCON 10 or 12, need help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

chevydrew
10+ year member

Hopefully it's cool for me to post here to ask a few specific questions about your subs? I am looking to build a ported wedge box for a DCON. I have plenty of room for a 10 but a 12 would be tight (i would prefer the 12 of course). 1st question is how much room does the sub need to have behind the magnet? If it's less than 1" is that too little? 2nd question is what diameter port should I use? I need to use a round port to save some air space in the box, for a 12 should it be a 3" dia or 4"? I can barely squeeze 1.75 cu after port and sub.

Hopefully it's cool for me to post here to ask a few specific questions about your subs? I am looking to build a ported wedge box for a DCON. I have plenty of room for a 10 but a 12 would be tight (i would prefer the 12 of course). 1st question is how much room does the sub need to have behind the magnet? If it's less than 1" is that too little? 2nd question is what diameter port should I use? I need to use a round port to save some air space in the box, for a 12 should it be a 3" dia or 4"? I can barely squeeze 1.75 cu after port and sub.
have you looked at the provided recommended enclosure plans?

Yes but I have to build a wedge box and don't have enough room for a large slotted port like the ones shown in those drawings. That's why I'm wondering if I can use a 3" or 4" diameter round port instead and what would be the best?

Don't starve your sub... It you're barely fitting 1.75 cubes, just settle for the 10" it's not going to be a huge loss in output. Give your 10" plenty of room to breathe, just 1 cube ported with a 3" aero and you're golden.

I have a 2006 gmc crew cab and I was trying to just stick with a box behind the seat. If I go under the seat I can get a bit more room out of it. I really want to do the 12. Just have to figure out what's best even if I have to sacrifice the under seat storage. I need to make a decision and place my order.

Never hesitate to ask questions, I will try to answer anything I can. Most of the replies beat me to it, in terms of go with the 10" Dcon and give it proper air space. I always prefer the smaller sub in a comfortable enclosure compared to a larger sub choked up that could cause nasty peaks in response. As for space behind the pole vent, less then 3/4" is kind of tight.

Thanks for your replies guys, I appreciate it. I may explore the option of below the rear seat to see if I'm better off going that route but if not, i'll stick with the 10.

Looks like I'm definitely sticking with the dcon 10. It fits better and will have plenty of space. I can get 1.75 ft3 no problem but I have 2 q's. Should I use a 3" or a 4" aero port? Also what would be the best tuning frequency for a good combo of sq and spl? If I remember right the suggested is 28-33 hz?

I did a little work and came up with these dimensions on Torres Calc and this on Sketchup. Does the positioning of the port look OK?

5db816cd.jpg

74768202.jpg

Im glad you mentioned that, i will change it up and use 3/4", i can widen the box a bit to get the air space back. is the positioning of the port good? also the tuning, for a mix of sq and spl? is the 3" port good or should I use a 4" port?

Im glad you mentioned that, i will change it up and use 3/4", i can widen the box a bit to get the air space back. is the positioning of the port good? also the tuning, for a mix of sq and spl? is the 3" port good or should I use a 4" port?
33hz is a good point for the Dcon in a daily install. As for the port, if you can go larger, great.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

chevydrew

10+ year member
chevydrew
United States
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from