Decided to make it metal.

Metal boxes sound fine. I have helped make one at the Fab shop I was working at. but we used 1/4 steel with no braceing. steel is alot stronger than wood anyday. I am going to ask the shop if they still have the pictures of it

I lawled many times reading this. Im sorry but think of how weak that will be. There are HIGH pressures that build up inside a box. this is going to flex like a b1tch. its going to sound hollow and tinny/echoy (sp fail). It will sound like pure garbage. 1/4" steel would work pretty well id imagine, .5" steel would work really well but be heavy as ****. MDF FTW. And polyfil in ported box will most likely = mess. I wanna see pics and vids asap.

man this has a major fail all over it. do me a favor....go outside and start kicking that sheet metal and tell us how it sounds because thats what its going to sound like, times 10 with you trying to pressurize with a sub. regardless of how much polyfill you use....

implied_facepalm.jpg

this would never sound good. imagine the air noise you get with your ac unit in a home. realize how much outside noise travles thru that. or go listen to the actual unit kick on with ac on. and imagine 5 times the pressure inside the unit with less space to escape. even with braces there is way to much surface area with minimum tinsel strength. By the time the box would normally build up pressure to make what you would call bass. the amount of pressure inside is going to be increadable. Imagine how much pressure it takes to push air thru mdf. and apply that same pressure to thin metal. assume the light side of pressure. of say 15 psi. 15 psi is capable of holding over 4 to 5 thousand pounds of weight so assume that you have 3 to 5 thousand pounds of circular pressure moving around in a box made of metal that is less than .25 inches.... just saying. this will basicly sound just like a thundering piece of metal. this will sound as good as a jackhammer on a steal floor.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.