DD Z2 too much for 3512e's

Stryker
10+ year member

1996 Thunderbird BOOM!
Like the title says, have a chance to grab a Z2 but worried that the 3512's might not like that much power. box size is in sig. this is a daily system for music and the occasional comp. let me know your thoughts. the price is right but i don't want to fry the subs....

It will work, but you will definately have to be very carefull with that much power on those subs. We just finished installing a M4A on 2 3518's friday. It beat the crap out of them, but they got warm after a minute or 2 of playing music. They held it fine for burps, but would still warm up a bit.

As said above, you can choke the output of the amp by turning the gain artificially low. This has the added benefit of giving some output headroom, so those split second max current draw spikes will not necessarily send the amp into clipping. Its a common technique SQ guys use all the time. The only real downside is paying for a larger amp than your speakers are rated for. But if like you say, the price is right, I see no reason to not use it.

Well fella's I've given it some thought. So running 4 ohm is pointless as the output is only 2500RMS which is more or less what I'm doing now.

I'm leaning towards taking a pass (still gonna go look tho, can't resist as it was once in Team Riprocks machine.)on this one..... adding 2 more 3512's is not gonna happen and for what it's worth I'm a cranker and would prolly wang the livin bejesus outta the subs as i love the bass cube i have. I doubt I'll upgrade the subs I have for something that can handle more power anytime soon as well I'm very happy with the 35's. The price is right but I'm good with the way my setup looks in the trunk and sounds. First time i can remember that i have real decent subs and electrical to back but the amp is too much....lol

thx for all who replied with help on this one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.