DD Subwoofers?

Well...I have never had any problems getting loud with any of the DD subs that I have used in the past.....

and that is comparing them to others...build/daily/size/power ect...

Didn't some guy break 180 using a single DD Z? at one time??....

Alan Dantae??

Well...I have never had any problems getting loud with any of the DD subs that I have used in the past.....and that is comparing them to others...build/daily/size/power ect...

Alan Dantae??
Yep Alan Dante uses a single DD Z 18 but it's obviously in an extreme vehicle and he's extremely smart. Same with Craig Butler (whose van was also built by Alan)

If we are going by the general populous then 99% of all products sold never get used it correctly and never achieve anything close to their best performance. Which would net an answer of...nothing is worth purchasing by those standards.
Same could go for the just because 1 guy claims they have never seen them work to what they consider their full potential.

I'm not saying they are the best out there, but I have not seen or heard of them not performing well. If they were doing anything less then what was wanted it was typically installation error in some way or another. AS it is with almost any product that gives a negative result.
I think you and I are nearly on the same page here Pro. I know by the general populous most products won't reach full potential. What I have discussed is using that erroneous playing field as the benchmark for my judgement of DD. Under imperfect circumstance, I have seen many other products: including SSA, Kicker, RF, Memphis, MTX, B2, Jenson (what?) all do better relatively to their build than any of the DD builds I've seen.

Of course there is error in all of these because they weren't done by some of the better box builders in the area. By your account, is it safe to assume that every single DD install had measurably more error than the other brands? I think not. That is where my beef comes in. I'm not saying I don't like DD products because they aren't the loudest vehicle I've heard. I'm saying I don't like DD products because every install I've heard should have been louder for what type of install it was.

I was going to give them a personal try to eliminate the error part of it, but $1600 at cost? Give me a break, I can find a better woofer for less paying retail.

Well...I have never had any problems getting loud with any of the DD subs that I have used in the past.....and that is comparing them to others...build/daily/size/power ect...

Alan Dantae??
Yep Alan Dante uses a single DD Z 18 but it's obviously in an extreme vehicle and he's extremely smart. Same with Craig Butler (whose van was also built by Alan)
Yes, but like you just stated. These builds are far more the enclosure and the builders than they are the sub. The Z may be .2 louder than anything else that would have been put in there, but they are so ridiculously loud thanks to Alan.

I think you and I are nearly on the same page here Pro. I know by the general populous most products won't reach full potential. What I have discussed is using that erroneous playing field as the benchmark for my judgement of DD. Under imperfect circumstance, I have seen many other products: including SSA, Kicker, RF, Memphis, MTX, B2, Jenson (what?) all do better relatively to their build than any of the DD builds I've seen.
Of course there is error in all of these because they weren't done by some of the better box builders in the area. By your account, is it safe to assume that every single DD install had measurably more error than the other brands? I think not. That is where my beef comes in. I'm not saying I don't like DD products because they aren't the loudest vehicle I've heard. I'm saying I don't like DD products because every install I've heard should have been louder for what type of install it was. I was going to give them a personal try to eliminate the error part of it, but $1600 at cost? Give me a break, I can find a better woofer for less paying retail.
I can agree with the price point for sure.

However, I would DD and Kicker and many other larger name companies in the same boat for error per install. The reason is that they are purchased because of "what they are" apposed to actually what was needed per the application. I see this all the time at the store. People want to buy a name/model to be "cool" and then end up with far more driver/amplifier then they will ever need.

However, based on the OP's budget, I don't see DD fitting in it anyway lol.

I can agree with the price point for sure.
However, I would DD and Kicker and many other larger name companies in the same boat for error per install. The reason is that they are purchased because of "what they are" apposed to actually what was needed per the application. I see this all the time at the store. People want to buy a name/model to be "cool" and then end up with far more driver/amplifier then they will ever need.

However, based on the OP's budget, I don't see DD fitting in it anyway lol.
Completely agree with you there. While trying to sell the Solo Xs, I've had all kinds of texts about "dem kickas" and "solo barix", people don't even understand that they have no where near enough budget to run the 3k or 8+cu the subs really want.

Completely agree with you there. While trying to sell the Solo Xs, I've had all kinds of texts about "dem kickas" and "solo barix", people don't even understand that they have no where near enough budget to run the 3k or 8+cu the subs really want.
Were you not impressed with your solo x's , you do know Resonance Inc. did alot of the design and prototype work on the orginal solo x motor assembly.

I will agree DD is a little overpriced, but overall there products a fairly well built, and usually preform very well if installed correctly

Were you not impressed with your solo x's , you do know Resonance Inc. did alot of the design and prototype work on the orginal solo x motor assembly.I will agree DD is a little overpriced, but overall there products a fairly well built, and usually preform very well if installed correctly
You apparently have missed most of my posts. I was blown away by the Solo Xs. They raped anything anywhere close to the same cone area/power I heard. They would play low, beat your head off at 45hz, and sounded decent while doing it. I moved away from them solely because I wanted to try subs to see what I would build my wall with (since the X production was ceased). The TRF hybrids I picked up absolutely blew them out of the water in every area of interest.

The Xs will always hold a place in my heart, but I have absolutely no use or place for them now and don't want to bother with recone issues down the road. 4" VC monster subs are where I will be from here on out so I would rather see the Xs find a nice home. I ran the same pair of Xs for over 8 years.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.