Dangers in tuning/subsonic filters? (Box tuned to 35hz, subsonic @ 33hz)

Participant count
  • Participant list

danfortner
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I just built a ported box tuned, which is tuned to 35hz. I have a subsonic filter on my amp but I just realizes it only goes to 30hz. So I am using the subsonic filter in my audiocontrol epicenter, which is set at 33hz. I will eventually replace the module inside to put it to 35hz as it should be.

But what I am wondering is, will this damage my sub if I play it now?

And what is the explanation of what happens to a ported sub, when you don't have a subsonic filter?

thanks

ur alright, i don't have a sub sonic filter. everyone on here said i'm fine. u could have urs at 28-30 and still be fine. what it does is it cuts out the lower frequencies so the sub doesn't play them. but if u didn't have one it stresses the sub. thats my best explanation.

I dont think youll have to worry about a SSF. Im running my subs in a ported box with no ssf. They have been running like this for about 6 months now and I havent had a problem of bottoming out a sub yet, even when playing test tones below the tuning freq of my box.

yeah, i also don't run a SSF. they are not necessarily needed...only for unexperienced newbies that push their subs to hard causing them to continually bottom out. Also, with the magnums, i don't really need to worry about bottoming out too much. But yeah, anyways ur good to one octave below ur tuning freq. so...in theory if u opt for the ssf it only needs to be on like 28 hz or around there man. Also, with the titanium...i also wouldn't worry too much. solid, well built sub. peace

NG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.