Daisy Chaining

Participant count
  • Participant list

SuperNewbie90
10+ year member

Situation: I am attempting to connect a Selenium d250x driver to my current setup. As of now, I have used all three pre-amp outs from my headunit. The front/rear outputs connect to a Kicker 350.4 which does not have output RCAs. The sub output connects to a Kicker 750.1. Now, on the 750.1, there is an RCA output.

Question: Will the RCA output on my sub amp output the ORIGINAL un-altered signal OR will it output the low-passed signal?

Essentially, what want to do is create a 4th RCA output to feed into a 2-chan Polk Audio amp in order to power the horn driver....without using a splitter or line-output converter. Am I being too picky here? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/help.gif.cee8f684da1ba626487a8bc51152e1ec.gif

Depending on your HU output voltage you could just get a couple RCA splitters and split one of them.

As far as I know, the output on a sub amp would output the filtered 'sub' signal. I could be wrong though.

Depending on your HU output voltage you could just get a couple RCA splitters and split one of them.
As far as I know, the output on a sub amp would output the filtered 'sub' signal. I could be wrong though.
Hmm, well my HU outputs are 4V. Being that they are 4V, if I used a splitter, would that not degrade the signal too much?

Voltage doesn't change when you split an RCA signal. Amperage does. Having a higher output voltage on your h/u won't hurt though.

Voltage doesn't change when you split an RCA signal. Amperage does. Having a higher output voltage on your h/u won't hurt though.
Hmm, in the case how would the amperage be affected??...and would it be noticeable? I also heard something about splitting RCA causes engine noise...is that correct?

If a signal is split once, the amperage carried will be 1/2 in each after. Splitting signal alone should not cause engine noise. If all your connections are solid, you shouldn't notice a difference.

If a signal is split once, the amperage carried will be 1/2 in each after. Splitting signal alone should not cause engine noise. If all your connections are solid, you shouldn't notice a difference.
Ok, I think I understand. One other thing..an installer I was talking to said he recommends a LOC over a splitter. Out of these two options, what would YOU (personally) do? Also, how can I test the output on my sub amp to see if it outputs the original signal vs the low-passed signal?? Btw, I am in no shape to touch any wiring in my car, I've always had it professionally done.

Situation: I am attempting to connect a Selenium d250x driver to my current setup. As of now, I have used all three pre-amp outs from my headunit. The front/rear outputs connect to a Kicker 350.4 which does not have output RCAs. The sub output connects to a Kicker 750.1. Now, on the 750.1, there is an RCA output.
Question: Will the RCA output on my sub amp output the ORIGINAL un-altered signal OR will it output the low-passed signal?

Essentially, what want to do is create a 4th RCA output to feed into a 2-chan Polk Audio amp in order to power the horn driver....without using a splitter or line-output converter. Am I being too picky here? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/help.gif.cee8f684da1ba626487a8bc51152e1ec.gif
Are you using the LPF on your HU or on the kicker 750.1?

According to Crutchfield, the Kicker ZX750.1 (that's the model you have right?) has a pair of PREouts, which means they send an UNfiltered signal out to the next amp.

That being said, if you have your LPF set on your head unit, then the sub RCA output from the head unit has that LPF on it. If you have the LPF set on the kicker amp and NOT on the head unit, then you should be able to connect a full range 2 channel amp using the preout of the kicker with no problem.

According to Crutchfield, the Kicker ZX750.1 (that's the model you have right?) has a pair of PREouts, which means they send an UNfiltered signal out to the next amp.

That being said, if you have your LPF set on your head unit, then the sub RCA output from the head unit has that LPF on it. If you have the LPF set on the kicker amp and NOT on the head unit, then you should be able to connect a full range 2 channel amp using the preout of the kicker with no problem.
Bingo

Ok, I think I understand. One other thing..an installer I was talking to said he recommends a LOC over a splitter. Out of these two options, what would YOU (personally) do?
lol.....a LOC is almost always the worst thing you can use for SQ. It sounds like someone is trying to make a sale (installer).

Having a higher voltage does help. I don't know where the other poster got the idea that it doesn't.....?

You can drive longer RCA cables and also run your gain lower on your amp by using a higher voltage head unit. Lower gain = less induced noise (noise floor) and less chance for engine whine/EMI noise.

Also, how can I test the output on my sub amp to see if it outputs the original signal vs the low-passed signal?? Btw, I am in no shape to touch any wiring in my car, I've always had it professionally done.
The output should already be un-filtered. If it isn't, all you will hear is bass below whatever frequency (HZ) that your LPF is set at.

For instance, if you plug your RCAs from your high amp into the OUTPUT of your subwoofer amp, and hear full range normal sound - you have unfiltered audio.

If you plug your RCAs into your output and all you hear is bass, then you know that is filtered output (after the LPF).

It also depends on if you have the LPF activated on the head unit. It has to be off or the test is invalid. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Svj13...So if that's the case, what could I possibly use to test that? I have nothing else to connect to the outputs in order to see if the signal is un-filtered.

lol.....a LOC is almost always the worst thing you can use for SQ. It sounds like someone is trying to make a sale (installer).
Having a higher voltage does help. I don't know where the other poster got the idea that it doesn't.....?

You can drive longer RCA cables and also run your gain lower on your amp by using a higher voltage head unit. Lower gain = less induced noise (noise floor) and less chance for engine whine/EMI noise.

The output should already be un-filtered. If it isn't, all you will hear is bass below whatever frequency (HZ) that your LPF is set at.

For instance, if you plug your RCAs from your high amp into the OUTPUT of your subwoofer amp, and hear full range normal sound - you have unfiltered audio.

If you plug your RCAs into your output and all you hear is bass, then you know that is filtered output (after the LPF).

It also depends on if you have the LPF activated on the head unit. It has to be off or the test is invalid. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Vwbobby, Same thing I asked sjv13. What can I use to test the output with??...is there a device other than another subwoofer that would let me hear whether the output is un-filtered?

Svj13...So if that's the case, what could I possibly use to test that? I have nothing else to connect to the outputs in order to see if the signal is un-filtered.
How about the two channel amp and horns you were trying to connect in the first place?

How about the two channel amp and horns you were trying to connect in the first place?
Actually, that a good idea! But, I'm not doing the install. I'm taking it somewhere to have it installed and I don't think the installer wants be bothered with trial and error.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.