Custom vs Prefab Box

custom is best . but if you do not have the funds for a custom box

your best option is to look for boxed ported with the specs of the tuning and space of the chamber before displacement.

some websites sell decent boxes that have the tuning and air space specs.

You can build yourself dude. It's not difficult just ask around what you will need to do as far as tuning goes. After that it's just mdf, screws, wood glue, and if you prefer carpet.Plus there is nothing better than popping the trunk and telling someone you built the box yourself.

Custom. There was a member here a few years ago that was arguing otherwise. I wonder what happened to that idiot and his cheap pre fab box.
lol.. srsly?

there is this car audio shop that is close to me. there store is a whopping 750 square feet lol! only sold orion pioneer boss kicker jvc sony and crappy other gear.

tried to argue with me that a custom enclosure for my xfl's werent needed at all . hehad a convertable mini car that looked like shlt. had 2 subs in seperate sealed prefab boxes lol! sounded like utter ****.

needless to say i left his shop with a comment of something like thats why your still in this ran down bedroom sized store because your a moron and will soon close your doors because you sell walmart brand gear at %1000 markup. few months later his shop was gone. lmao

Some forget that not everyone has any tools or may live in an apt and can't build their own. For universal prefabs, I say model out the one you are looking at for a particular sub in BassBox Pro or something and see how it compares to different sizes and tunings. The main thing to watch out for is vent velocity. Otherwise you should at least have someone else build you one.

Custom. There was a member here a few years ago that was arguing otherwise. I wonder what happened to that idiot and his cheap pre fab box.
I currently use a manufacture prefab box. The JL H.O...came with my W6 and it has very good SQ. I've built plenty of my own boxes too.

But at least with this prefab, I know JL tests their boxes in a car while driving around and picks the most optimal designs.

int_HO112W6V3.jpg

Some forget that not everyone has any tools or may live in an apt and can't build their own. For universal prefabs, I say model out the one you are looking at for a particular sub in BassBox Pro or something and see how it compares to different sizes and tunings. The main thing to watch out for is vent velocity. Otherwise you should at least have someone else build you one.

I currently use a manufacture prefab box. The JL H.O...came with my W6 and it has very good SQ. I've built plenty of my own boxes too.

But at least with this prefab, I know JL tests their boxes in a car while driving around and picks the most optimal designs.

int_HO112W6V3.jpg
That's pretty **** but wow that port looks long. I bet if you cut it down by half you'd gain big time. That would add like .25 cubes and raise tuning.

I built my first box as a 16 year old kid. and it was this Decware's Death Box Car Audio Subwoofer Cabinet for Twelves

I Knew **** all about car audio, just had a friend that said that design was supposed to be good.

I had no real extra skills as a carpenter, i was a dam kid. But I made my way through the design and cut sheet. Then glued and screwed it together. She wasn't the prettiest box and the equipment was just hilarious. Some really frickin old Kicker 12s with paper cones and foam surround that was deteriorating. These were clamshelled together in the self made box and for an amp, just a little also very old audiobahn 150 watt. But that moment when I realized that my substage sounded cleaner than everyone else's and louder than most with this old low power gear I fell for this hobby. I've never since bought a prefab box nor would I. Ask anyone who has ever built their own box on here, even if it was ****** the first time, they will tell you it's worth it in so many ways.

Oh and pics or it didn't happen right? Well I still have the gear, was actually just about to get rid of the box, Here ya go:

20150717_144248.jpg

20150717_144242.jpg

20150717_144400.jpg

20150717_150128.jpg

20150717_150132.jpg

20150824_104828.jpg

20150824_105035.jpg

Only a few more boxes later I still love building Decare designs:

2013-06-07_21-27-55_337.jpg

I always have room to improve on construction, I still have tons to learn (I don't do this professionally or very often). But I think you can see as you build more your skills improve, and you can get ideas from build logs on this site, there are literallllly TONS of them.

I say build. You can probably get some decent prefabs, but they will likely be much more than building, or even having someone here build you one. I think I got quoted about 140-150 depending on carpeting or wood. You can build one for about 60 on the higher end and Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, and just about any other hardware or home improvement store will cut the wood for you too, you just need to cut out your speaker holes. I got a prefab, its alright, but it also leaves a lot to be desired. I've been planning on building a box, I've just been slacking. Having a prefab (One that matches the type-R specs just about exactly), and the type-R, build your own box or have someone do it for you.
@CSCStang builds boxes, ask him what he'll charge ya if you don't wanna build your own.

custom vs pre-fab. it's similar to sound treating your door vs not. pre-fab will still sound okay just the same as if you just replaced your OEM speakers. custom will sound good all around similar to if you replaced your OEM speaker than did some door treatments with some CLD tiles, MLV, CCF. there is a reason why pre-fab boxes are so cheap, it's b/c sometimes they don't sound good but for the most part work okay.

That's pretty **** but wow that port looks long. I bet if you cut it down by half you'd gain big time. That would add like .25 cubes and raise tuning.
It's just under 32 hz. Like 31.7 or some oddball figure, I forget exactly. It actually sounds really good. The only issue this box has is the group delay is a bit higher than I would prefer but vent velocity is extremely good for this size box.

*edit: Since I already have this box modeled out, just to see a simulation of your theory, I raised the tuning to 40hz, the rest adjusted automatically and it actually made things worse. lol. Group delay and vent velocity increased a little bit and output didn't change much, 40-55 hz only raised by 1 decibel higher plus I lost a little on my extension. so no, maybe you shouldn't work for JL. lol

It's just under 32 hz. Like 31.7 or some oddball figure, I forget exactly. It actually sounds really good. The only issue this box has is the group delay is a bit higher than I would prefer but vent velocity is extremely good for this size box.
*edit: Since I already have this box modeled out, just to see a simulation of your theory, I raised the tuning to 40hz, the rest adjusted automatically and it actually made things worse. lol. Group delay and vent velocity increased a little bit and output didn't change much, 40-55 hz only raised by 1 decibel higher plus I lost a little on my extension. so no, maybe you shouldn't work for JL. lol
Well it was just an observation of the port length. And modifying it based on your model didnt really make it worse. No worries though. I build better boxes than JL.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.