Custom Homebuilt Guitar Amplifier made from Boss Audio Equipment.

Participant count
  • Participant list

SephiousVII

So, I've been looking for the better part of my life for a guitar amplifier that would give me the flexibility of tone that no guitar amplifier manufacture just cant seem to provide.

I found that adapting my connections to play through a 5.1 surround system with 10 band EQ gave me the range of tone I actually wanted.

One day I took my guitar to the park and plugged into my car stereo via line in.

I could not believe the amazing sound that blasted from my car as I played.

This was the deciding moment that I decided to one day build my own guitar amplifier from car audio equipment.

First I had to find a line of speakers that not only sounded decent enough but also looked good.

I came across the Boss Audio Phantom Skull line and here is the result

d1c67c83-fa36-409d-b8a2-ca9cdefc2a8c_zps12048122.jpg

It's got a 400w 4chan Boss Audio Amp and a Boss Audio 4band EQ preamp with Sub Vol and Freq control.

It's powered by a Mean-Well 540w, 37.5amp, 12v power supply

(Shown here:

SE-450_zpsa962b74f.jpg

https://www.trcelectronics.com/ecomm/images/SE-450.JPG

I've played music at half volume for 6 hours in my basement and opened it back up to check the component temperatures and everything seemed to be fine. I have installed 2x4" vented ports on the back panel on each side of the sub woofer to relieve pressure on the speaker woofers and it sounds great.

I'd like some feed back on this build.

The left and right sets of speakers are connected series parallel to respective channels.

The Sub Woofer is 10" dual voice coil.

I built the cabinet like a closed back combination guitar amplifier.

It's 3' wide, 2' tall, 1' deep, ( add 2.5" height for the socket casters )

I'm not sure how much it weighs, but I'd have to say a little under 100lbs.

I can hook my phone up to it and play music. I gotta say though 400w even turned up only half way is really loud for a home stereo.

Feedback/Suggestions?

I do plan on making smaller units. perhaps satellite speakers for a 2.1 sound system for home theater.

here is a video of me playing through it. Although the sound is bad on the video, it sounds much better in person.

http://youtu.be/nRqX8GgcZy4

Thanks for checking this out (^_^)

partsexpress.com has a lot of quality drivers that outperform soundwise for the price. Boss makes some decent distortion pedals in the musician side of things but in car audio, its a dangerous buy since quality control is not their strong suit and their amps only do 1/4 of the power of what they claim. I'd also isolate the sub woofer from the other speakers to prevent sound waves from cancelling out and properly tune the port instead of just sticking in a random port. Stick with same speaker sizes next time, if you are sharing the chamber because that will cause cancellation too. Read up on what cancellation and phase issues are and how it impacts your sound quality and output.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.