Custom Built Ported Box + Eclipse Titanum = BOOM (PICS INCLUDED)

danfortner
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I figured I wouldn't have much to do this Christmas vacation, so I could build the ported box I always wanted to make. So I have been planning for the last 2 months or so to build a ported box for my Eclipse Titanium. I am still going to carpet it, plus I have plexiglass and neons to pick-up on Monday, but here are the pics so far (plus some other stuff):

THE SUB:

eclipse1.jpg

the new box:

newboxright.jpg

newboxfront.jpg

newboxleft.jpg

the port, this little thing is tuned to 35hz for SQL:

newboxport.jpg

I made a mock-up cardboard box to make sure it would fit my trunk:

carboardbox.jpg

another pic of the sub, I just can't get enough of this thing, the magnet, motor, and coils are HUGE:

eclipse3.jpg

the box I used to use, 1.20 cu ft sealed, sounded real nice too:

oldbox.jpg

a fun shot, (bling, bLinG) these two things should help make a good new years eve party:

eclipse+armadale.jpg

Some of these images can be found in the gallery.

add-on:

HATCH BOX - As you can see, it is a hatch box. Man, was that a pain to do. Because of the slant you have to do a lot of angle work and figuring out lengths of triangles. I had to do some triginometry using sine, cos, tan to figure out the angles to cut the wood. But I think it will be worth it, because it takes up less space that way, looks nicer and will integrate the plexiglass even better.

TEST RUN - I only listened to my sub in this box for about 2 minutes, because the liquid nails and silicon was still curing and those chemicals can cause the glue on a sub to come loose. So I listened to it to make sure the box was good, and that I was going to keep it, and then I had to unmount it. But boy, I was happy. It did exactly what I wanted it to do; keep a good, accurate SQ, maybe sacrafice a little, but get a good amount louder. This thing was already nice and loud previously, (any sub getting 750w better get loud) but now, this is a beast. When the sub hit, me and my firend both looked up and looked at each other, because of the major improvement in loudness. Then I turned it to Soundgarden for like 30 seconds and it sounded nice. I can't wait to get this thing perminantely installed.

THE BOX is 1.7 cu ft and the port is tuned to 35hz - for SQL.

Perhaps the smallest port I've ever seen in my life.

Be sure to let us know how it sounds. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

- Steve

Perhaps the smallest port I've ever seen in my life.
Be sure to let us know how it sounds. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

- Steve
As I was planning the dimensions of this box, it all seemed wierd, like the box was small (calculators said anywhere from 1.2 cu ft to 1.75 and the port area was like 7.5 cu INCHES). You can checkout the t/s small parameters on this thread of mine http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=42203 . It stood up to my first initial sound test but, I will let you know whats up after I have ridden with this thing for a week.

There's this formula :
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/prt/ported1.htm

Which gives 1.2 ft^3 tuned to 36.555 Hz
I've based alot of my figures on the above website/recommendation. Is it possible that this sub functions in different environments than a traditional sub?

Can someone please punch these numbers:

Eclipse Titanium 12" (9122) Parameters:

DC-R - dual 3.1 ohm

FS - 27hz

qts - .30

vas - 3.2 ft^2

spl - 89db

qes - .32

qms - 5.0

sd - 490 cm^2

xmax - 38mm

woofer displacement - .19 ft^2

box - 1.77 cuft @ 35hz

I won't forget your help

Thanks,

Dan Fortner

I have one Eclipse Titanium 12" sub powered by a Kicker KX600.1 that outputs 600wrms @ 2 ohms, it's currently in ~ 1.2cu ft sealed enclosure and it sounds pretty **** good, but I was also thinking about throwing it into a ported box so it would hit some lower notes better, but I don't really want to compromise sq too much. I found this box design on an old eclipse site, and I was wondering if it seems allright to all y'all, or what would you guys recommend for a ported box for one Titanium 12, or do ya think I should just stick with the sealed?

I agree that the port looks smalll but whatever floats your boat. Other than that looks nice man, im still pondering what sub to buy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

-Mike

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.