Current box enclosure isnt going to be big enough.... now what

Participant count
  • Participant list

st0n3r
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok, so looks like a current set of prints i recently bought aren't going to cut it for the size of the sub. My current prints listed it as 34w x 17d x 16h and says 4.2cubes at 35hz. After speaking with builders they state that with that size it is not going to be nearly enough space. Said that the sub would be best in about 6 cubes and that my above dimensions are approx 2 cubes. I am completely confused now. The blueprint designed says 4.2 cubes on the size above, but a builder / designer says its about 2/3rds less than whats needed.

The sub is brand new, unused, but bought too long ago to get a refund etc. Should i just use the above specs for the size and just go sealed? Its impossible for me to literally double my enclosure size to get closer to the required amount of space needed. Im just really lost on what to do at this point. I doubt selling the sub would net me anything to get say a rock solid 12" sub thats new with warranty, so i will likely stick with the 15" sub.

If i go sealed with the above sized box, will my t1500bdcp rockford amp be enough to push it? I know it will require more power in sealed so more work for the amp, but other than that what am i going to lose going sealed?

The thread showing the difference really only spends all the time talking about ported enclosures. I know i wont get the SPL at all in a sealed box, but will it still get loud and hit hard?

Ok, so looks like a current set of prints i recently bought aren't going to cut it for the size of the sub. My current prints listed it as 34w x 17d x 16h and says 4.2cubes at 35hz. After speaking with builders they state that with that size it is not going to be nearly enough space. Said that the sub would be best in about 6 cubes and that my above dimensions are approx 2 cubes. I am completely confused now. The blueprint designed says 4.2 cubes on the size above, but a builder / designer says its about 2/3rds less than whats needed.
The sub is brand new, unused, but bought too long ago to get a refund etc. Should i just use the above specs for the size and just go sealed? Its impossible for me to literally double my enclosure size to get closer to the required amount of space needed. Im just really lost on what to do at this point. I doubt selling the sub would net me anything to get say a rock solid 12" sub thats new with warranty, so i will likely stick with the 15" sub.

If i go sealed with the above sized box, will my t1500bdcp rockford amp be enough to push it? I know it will require more power in sealed so more work for the amp, but other than that what am i going to lose going sealed?

The thread showing the difference really only spends all the time talking about ported enclosures. I know i wont get the SPL at all in a sealed box, but will it still get loud and hit hard?
Actually, I said it is about 2/3s of what you actually need. Any square driver likes larger enclosures and perform far better in them. I just sent you an email back in regards to you last question.

However, my real answer is to sell/trade the driver for something that would work better for your application.

34w x 17d x 16h is our outside dimensions, so your inside dimensions are as follows (assuming the wood is 3/4" thick):

32.5w x 15.5d x 14.5h = 7304.375 / 1728 = ~4.2 cubes GROSS. This is not taking into account any displacements you're getting from the port or the sub.

Going sealed may be a good option. And iirc sealed usually has less power handling so you should be good. If you've built the box already, cut out a piece of wood to put over the port. If not, just extend whatever piece has the port in it so it seals up the box.

indeed, Sealed my be the best option.

Another option with the dims he provided to me was he could use a precision port...would work, but I couldn't guarantee the results though...

Ive not done anything with a build so far. I just have the design of what someone done for me but its not going to be enough to go ported.

pro_rabbit indeed id rather sell it and buy another sub, but no one here really cares for kicker sub's and would want to pay like lower than 1/2 its retail cost lol.

Ive not done anything with a build so far. I just have the design of what someone done for me but its not going to be enough to go ported.
pro_rabbit indeed id rather sell it and buy another sub, but no one here really cares for kicker sub's and would want to pay like lower than 1/2 its retail cost lol.
That is a disadvantage. Kicker never goes over well on the forums and for locals it is very hit/miss with them. With kicker being up the road here the value is about $100 for a nib 15L7 if that in most cases. So I understand where you're coming from.

If you have to use this, then going sealed is one of the two best options. The other would be to use the larger are you provided me with and to use a precision port. That should get you around 4.7-4.8ft3 net and while that is small it should do decently well.

pro_rabbit in your professional opinion, would you take my current measurements and just go sealed with a little more depth as i mentioned in my emails, or go with the precision port thing your talking about?

At this point i dont have a lot of money left to spend on an enclosure. The amp an sub cost a LOT, than 50' of 0awg wiring, buying blueprints that arent going to cut it etc. Im in too deep to sell this sub for anything under like $300 which is still a great deal compared to new retail pricing. However, even if i scored a sale @ $300 on the sub, there isnt anything new w/ warranty that i know of in a single 12" sub that i can think of (i do NOT know much about sub's except name recognition honestly). So im really stuck in a hard place lol.

My amp and sub have been sitting for a few months now still in the box unused after upgrading from the pair of 10" L7's i had. So im dying to get some use out of this investment lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.