Crunch USA V-200SE... 375W@2ohms?!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Steve in Seattl

Well, I just inheritied a free amp and 10" sub (in a box).

The amp is a old Crunch USA V-200SE. I'm having some issues with figuring out the specs on this amp though.

From what it says on the amp, it's a 2-channel amp with 100W RMS at 4ohms... and yes, its bridgable.

The manual I found online (http://www.maxxsonics.net/manuals/crunch/pdfs/crDR_V150-600.pdf) says:

100W x2 @ 4ohms

175W x2 @ 2ohms

350W x1 @ 4ohms

1) Is that 350W supposed to be at 2 ohms bridged? Shouldn't bridging the channels just DOUBLE the power at the same load? (100 to 350?!)

2) Is it possible that's a typo and the amp is stable to 2 ohms bridged?

(I was under the impression bridging an amp isn't possible using the lowest ohm load each channel can handle).

The sub that came with it is a 10" Audiomobile subwoofer with a single voice coil... I'm assuming it's a 4ohm sub.

3) Anyone think this sub would be stable with a bridged 2ohm load? (I'm considering a cheap DVC sub to make the most of this amp, but unsure if it can drive at 2 ohms bridged).

It's been a long time since I messed with car audio and was hoping someone could help me out.

Ok, I guess it is stable at 375W@4ohms.

Biamplification vs. Bridging Power AmplifiersBy Jon M. Risch, Senior Project Engineer, Peavey Electronics Corp.

... Bridging the amp will give the usual 6 dB more power output, or 4 times the single channel power output into the same load impedance. However, the bridging must be into a load impedance that is twice the minimum allowable load for the single channel. Subwoofers often need some headroom to maintain punch and impact, so use of a bridged amp is not that unusual.
Guess I'm stuck with a 4 ohm sub. :/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.