Crest??

Participant count
  • Participant list

Corsica
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Okay as u all can tell I have much to learn and i would like to know, what in tha blue oceans of hell (also known as Friendship) is the crest theory? I just heard of this on a diff. post and this interests me. Anyways i would like to take a guess, is it have anything to do with the crest or hight of frequency in a sound wave?

J

Originally posted by Corsica Okay as u all can tell I have much to learn and i would like to know, what in tha blue oceans of hell (also known as Friendship) is the crest theory? I just heard of this on a diff. post and this interests me. Anyways i would like to take a guess, is it have anything to do with the crest or hight of frequency in a sound wave?

J
crest factor???? what I was talking about in the other post?? in reference to music ----- if you where to put a sound through a device to look at the energy content of a song you would see the is and average amount of power then there is also peaks in power---drum kicks ---or just a peaks in energy. The crest fact is the measure of the peaks to the average energy. a crest fact of 10dBs on a 100W amp would look like ----full power 100W drum kicks with 10W average energy you see it the peaks are 10X the average power. SQ type test music can have 20dB crest factors. it would look like 100w kicks with 5W average power. This is also the reason you can run 2000W systems on 90A alternators. The reson being amp don't draw current like a toaster or blow drier unless you listen to test tones. if you listen to MUSIC most of the amps power is UNUSED. listening to MUSIC is ALSO why caps help the alternator load. The cap helps with the peak current and finally this is also why we must clip are amps-----so we can use more of the amps power for the AVERAGE content of the music. know one want to buy a 1000W amp and only use 100W of it.

chris, why dont you source up a dynamic compressor, i dont know if any are made for car audio but certainly this is a most widely used tool in sound recording though - you would be able to increase crest factor without the harsh clipping sound.

you mean REDUCE the crest factor. ---yes you can use a simple compressor/limiter/expander BUT that leaves the sound ----------undynamic

so having distorted sound is better than having sound not dynamic ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Originally posted by vasyachkin so having distorted sound is better than having sound not dynamic ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
your lost -------you need to read some info on pro audio /car audio design:D

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Corsica

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
Corsica
Ft Huachuca, AZ
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date