Crackling and weird noises coming from speakers, help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Alm3ga

Just hooked up a 4 channel amp and now when I hit pause on my head unit a weird noise comes from all the speakers. I noticed that the sound follows the light pattern on the head unit (when it's paused it kinda strobes)

Not sure what this could be, thinking its some sort of ground problem, not an expert so I could be wrong.

I have a 2 channel for subs and a 4 channel for mids and highs. I'm assuming its something to do with the 4 channel amp because it didn't do until I swapped the 2 channel amp I had for my mids for the 4 channel and hooked up a pair of 5 1/4's. Both amps are grounded in the bottom of the trunk in the spare wheel well. I used the same ground wire when I swapped, out the 4 channel. This amp is weird though, it doesn't have terminals for the ground power and remote wires, it just has 3 wires coming out for you to connect to.

I have sourced the problem to the rca cables going to the 4 channel amp. When I remove the cables all interferance stops. Do you think it could be the ground on this amp? The sub amp and mid/ high amp are on the same ground point, think that may have something to do with it?

Always great to make sure the ground is effectively grounded. I usually bypass the stock ground wire and use 12 gauge to make a new ground no more than 18" from HU. The shorter your ground and the bigger the wire the less resistance which allows it to be more efficient. Make sure ground on amp is secure and effective. Sand and clean surfaces in which you will ground to. Best source of ground is the frame of your vehicle.

The ground wires for both the amps, I believe, are big enough. Its a kenwood hu. The only thing is, before I had a 2 channel amp hooked up to the mids and there was no issues of this kind. Today I replaced that amp with a 4 channel and added some 5 1/4's. Think it could be something wrong the amp?

Could very well be if you got it used.. Check and play with setting controls on amp, for I have owned several older/used amps in which if you played with the amp and moved settings a certain way that they would clear up the sound from cracking to clear.. Make sure all connections where wires and terminals meet are secure and tight. Hmm, when you drive your vehicle does this sound get louder? Or whine?

The amp is infact used. Yes when I turn the car on it whines and when I push on the gas the whining gets higher pitched and when I activate the brake light there's a loud pop.

The normal cause of engine noise and other sounds your hearing is the ground to the HU in which I'm assuming is using from the stock wiring harness. Well here you have an easy fix..

Quick Steps..

1 - Take out your HU.

2 - Cut/disconnect your after market HU's ground from the current ground. (Which I'm assuming is the stock harness's ground.)

3 - Now I would recommend you to use 12 gauge wire at a length of no more than 18" but you can get by with what you have to work with to reconnect with the HU's ground wire. (Shorter you use the better and the bigger the wire the better.)

4 - Now connect other end of added wire to a local bolt or whatnot of the chassis while making sure its well secured.

5 - Ok thats it! Your done and should be good to go so now you can test HU while its out to make sure you found a good ground spot and if so you can put your HU back in and be on your way!

Take your time and good luck!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.