Could someone from sundown confirm if this is normal (SA8v2 d4 reading 3ohms)

Participant count
  • Participant list

htownrsx
10+ year member

Houston
Hello,

I just want to make sure before I install my subs today, that this is indeed normal. I just received these bstock sa8v2s, and checked them via dmm.

kd9S3P7.jpg

Thank you,

Rob

Is this going to affect the performance? I mean they will not receive the correct amount of power?
depends on if both coils are reading 3 ohms or not and how you wire them to the amp. i'd say that the coils are damaged ,usually the 4 ohm coils wont read that low ,but maybe not to bad ,they may still work for a while like they are .

Sure your Multimeter is correct?

Isnt there a trick to testing them? Touch the - and + together and take the reading and + or - the difference from what the coil is reading? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I'm pretty sure that the dmm is accurate, bc I also have a brand new sa8v2 dual 2, which reads a perfect 2 ohms each coil via the same dmm. The readings are the same for both of my d4s, across all coils.

might be why they are b stock
Not likely. More likely OP has an inaccurate DMM or that's just how the coils are on them. Really if all the coils are done with the same wire, with the same length, and same number of turns, how could a coil be different from the next?

Is this going to affect the performance? I mean they will not receive the correct amount of power?
It's fine. Very few woofers DC resistance is the same as nominal impedance.

depends on if both coils are reading 3 ohms or not and how you wire them to the amp. i'd say that the coils are damaged ,usually the 4 ohm coils wont read that low ,but maybe not to bad ,they may still work for a while like they are .
Aren't b stocks supposed to be mechanically fine, just minor scratches or blemishes?

Not likely. More likely OP has an inaccurate DMM or that's just how the coils are on them. Really if all the coils are done with the same wire, with the same length, and same number of turns, how could a coil be different from the next?

It's fine. Very few woofers DC resistance is the same as nominal impedance.
I'm just trying to understand, since i'm pretty new to car audio. I wouldn't think it's too big of a deal, but the exact same dmm reads my dual 2 sa8s @ exactly 2.0 ohms.

not always ,some have mechanical issues also .most d 4 subs read usually around 3.6 not at 3 ohms
This is the description of the open box subs that I purchased, from the companies website:

"Open Box Value! These are Sundown B-Stock. The woofer may have cosmetic flaw like excesive glue or scratch on backplate of magnet."

I really don't want to mount and install, and have something go wrong.

They are FINE. when you measure a voice coil, you are measuring it's RE value (coil resistance) this is listed on the SA website of being 3.3ohms.

This is different from the 4 ohm impedance rating.

This is the second time i've answered this question this weekend on this forum.

The only problem I have with your answer is that my brand new sa8v2d2 reads 2.0 ohms, while the website says that the RE is 3.36 ohms. So are you saying that my brand new sa8v2 D2s are supposed to read 3.36 ohms as well?

They are FINE. when you measure a voice coil, you are measuring it's RE value (coil resistance) this is listed on the SA website of being 3.3ohms.
This is different from the 4 ohm impedance rating.

This is the second time i've answered this question this weekend on this forum.

by 2.0 i assume you mean 3.0, as pictured.

do you know how much .36 ohm is? not enough to be concerned with where you're going! you would have a real hard time trying to find a sub that isn't that far out of tolerance one way or another. if it were a direct short or something way off, then yes, you would have something to worry about. hook em up and enjoy.

when you wire them all up to a one ohm load on your amp, that RE reading will only be off by .09 ohms. That's off by less than a c*nt hair.

(.36 / 4 = .09)

I actually have a pair of brand new sa8v2 dual 2 ohm subs, which I measured @ 2.0 ohms each coil. I was just thinking that 3.0 is pretty close to the dual 2, which makes me believe that there would be some sort of negative affect to wiring the dual 4ohms @ 1 ohm.

by 2.0 i assume you mean 3.0, as pictured.
do you know how much .36 ohm is? not enough to be concerned with where you're going! you would have a real hard time trying to find a sub that isn't that far out of tolerance one way or another. if it were a direct short or something way off, then yes, you would have something to worry about. hook em up and enjoy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

htownrsx

10+ year member
htownrsx
Houston
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from