Corrosion protection for power cables?

Participant count
  • Participant list
if you are worried about the corrosion, there isnt much you can do other than replacing components periodically, what you could do is when you are completely done with all your wiring and everything works correctly, you could wrap electrical tape around the exposed parts of your wiring to prevent water and dirt from getting on it.

You can buy battery post protect spray at Orileys, or Autozone for about $6 bucks for a small can..or if you have some type of Grease such as Vasaline or patrolleum(ms) type grease, a light coating will work very nicely,and is cheap..keeps the dirt away from the post as well as water proofs and protects from corrosion.Clean very well and then apply

Don't buy crap wire... I have welding wire and it's not corroded.... Buy tinned copper if your worried
It's the Excelene welding cable, 2/0, non-tinned terminals. The shrink wrap I use is triple layer so it seals 100% water tight. It's just where the terminals attach to the battery post. I just like to make things as protected as possible in the engine compartment. Yeah, I can clean em if necessary, but I prefer the ounce of prevention over the pound of cure.

I had used the sprays before with limited success. Was just wondering if you guys did anything differently. I might give the grease/vaseline idea a try. I've seen that done in some heavy duty applications.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.