Correct way to add extra set of tweeters

dross93ranger
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I just ordered a set of Powerbass 3XL component speakers, 80w RMS @ 3 Ohms and an APSM-2075

2x75W @ 4 Ohm

2x110W @ 2 Ohm

I will of course be hooking the Powerbass speakers up to their crossover, what should I do to add the set of Crescendo CTS-1 Tweeters? They are 4-Ohm, 60W RMS and I already have them mounted is one reason why I would like to keep them.

Can i just splice into the + and - before the crossover? The tweeters have their own inline crossover.

you should not add the tweeter in before the crossover as that will lower the ohms the amp sees.

I agree with LACRX (first time ever btw) that you do not need 4 tweeters and using the ones you have mounted might be a good thing to try.

You want to remove the cap (crossover) from the tweeter as keeping it will change the Slope and likely the freq of the crossover point leaving you a hole in your freq response.

Thanks for all your help guys, but I have one more question. The Crescendo tweeters are 60w RMS and the Powerbass are 80...considering the power I will be giving them, should the Crescendo be able to handle it alright? I'm thinking so because the power will be split between the woofer and the tweeter.

Edit: Actually the Powerbass are rated at 60 as well so I am good. The tweeters are rated at 60 and the whole component set is rated at 80.

yes you will be fine

tweeters use much less energy than normal drivers so they do not see the same watts as the mid-driver does.

I would guess that you would need to put over 200 watts to the crossover to get over 60 watts to the tweeter.

I really cringe when people plug in random tweeters into a crossover box that was designed for completely different speakers. Just a dumb, dumb idea from SQ stand point IMO. If this has worked for someone, it must have been due to sheer luck.

What could possibly go wrong?

1. The crossover box uses a lower high pass frequency than what the tweeter likes to play. They may result in harsher sound down low.

2. The crossover box does not attenuate enough, resulting in tweeter being too loud and overplaying the mids

3. The crossover box attenuates too much, resulting in tweeter being too quiet and loss of some highs detail.

Either match the tweeter with a crossover box that's meant for it, or use it active setup. Just because you have an extra set of tweeters doesn't mean you need to use them.

don't add the Crescendo to the Powerbass crossover. that will lower the impedance on the load side of the crossover which raises the crossover point. A 2kHz crossover point at 4 ohms turns to 4kHz at 2 ohms.

add the Crescendo tweeters with their own crossover in parallel with the input to the Powerbass crossover. Yes the amp sees a lower impedance load, but 2 ohms for a tweeter load is just fine for almost any amp (and 2 ohm is nominal, actual is higher).

do you need a second set? only if your first set is improperly placed. put your one pair of tweeters in the right spots, and you have no need for more.

I still don't see an issue with swapping them. I'm not ignoring advice, just trying to learn. The Crescendo are 12 db crossovers and sensitivity is 92dm w/m. Powerbass is 12db and 92 w/m. I like the size and look of the crescendos now and the sound. And they seem almost identical.

Crescendo Audio :: Tweeters :: CTS-1 Tweeter Set

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004AONHQQ/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1

Also the component set is 3 ohm, but I looked up both tweeters and they are both 4 ohm, just trying to do my homework, they seem like a well matched set of tweeters.

PM:

3XL-2S Specifications

Material:

Pure Silk

Size:

1.25"

Power Handling (RMS/Peak):

60 / 120 watts

Nominal Impedance:

4-ohm

Frequency Response:

3kHz-20kHz

Sensitivity (1W / 1M):

92 dB

Mounting Depth:

1"

CTS-1:

1" Silk dome tweeter kit

25mm woven silk dome diaphrams for accurate high end sound production

UHPLC copper voice coil

Optimized Neodymium chambered motor structures

Rated at 60w RMS per tweeter

Flush, angle and surface mount options

Full swivel functionality for easy adjustment of tweeter aiming/imaging

4ohms per tweeter/92dB 1w/1m sensitivity

Includes 2 CTS1 tweeters, 2 in-line 3khz/12dB defeatable Crossovers, full mounting hardware, and 3M double sided tape for testing out tweeter locations.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.