Micro holes for tweeters?

joeshmo
10+ year member

The joeshmo!
Hey guys. I'm trying to install my infinity kappa tweeters in my honda civic doors. I wouldn't mind going for a stealth approach and hiding the tweeter behind the door panel as there is no stock mounting point. I have read about people drilling holes in their door panels, a bunch of small holes, to allow the sound to pass freely and create a miniature speaker grill. Can I do something similar?

Pictures:

Hidden tweeter:

IMG_0225-Optimized.jpg

Where I think holes should be drilled:

IMG_0226-Optimized.jpg

usually ends up looking like crap since you have to do it by hand. spacing won't be consistent. and it will sound worse than intended. not recommended.

a flush mounting kit with matching grill cloth would work better.

or just mount them in the factory dash tweeter locations if you want stealth.

Unfortunately my flush mount kit was lost with little hopes of ever finding it and there isn't a stock mount position. I can see why it would look like crap if I tried to do it by hand though... Are there aftermarket mounts sold for 1" tweeters? I don't mind modifying my door panels I suppose, I may end up painting the tweeter grills black.

That's a great idea! I'll give that a shot prior to finding a surface mount kit. I got the smallest bit carried by my local ace hardware. It is pretty **** small. Any ideas of about what size I should be using?

That's a great idea! I'll give that a shot prior to finding a surface mount kit. I got the smallest bit carried by my local ace hardware. It is pretty **** small. Any ideas of about what size I should be using?
I would use somewhere around 1/16-7/32

note that that door panel costs upwards of $400 to replace and you are doing permanent damage. not to mention that i have never liked that location for tweeters anyway. i've seen a lot of hacked up door panels and they always reduce resale value and aesthetics.

using that location, i think the best way to make it look good is to use a hole saw to make a perfect hole that is the exact same size as the outside diameter as the tweeter. then simply get the tweeter to slide in the hole and have the grill flush with the panel. your tweeter should already have a grill, and more grills = sound attenuation and diffraction which make tweeters sound worse.

if the tweeter didn't have a grill already, you could use flat grill mesh and cut/form to a perfect circle (basically make cuts around the outer edge and bend down to make a lip. then glue the new grill in place so the result is a flush grill. paint grill to match. get the tweeter as close as possible to the grill, but seal with foam.

sounds like you'll try the micro perf hole idea. after that doesn't look good, you can drill out a circle and try this. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yeah, I was going to try the micro hole first and if it doesn't work, no harm done! That is a good idea however, doing an ultra flush mount. I could just add something to bolster the tweeters ugly surface mount until the appropriate height was reached (I could even use washers.)

And 400$ for a door panel is laughable... I'd say closer to 40$ at any reputable junkyard. Civics are not exceptionally rare cars and generally have decent interiors even in junkyards as they are almost always there due to rusting through or excessive body damage.

Thanks for help all.

i totally agree with you.

junk yard panels are a hit and miss. door panels usually get beat up. heck, three in my area have been purchased by recycling companies - and they don't sell anymore. had 5, down to 2 (and one is tiny). i tried to buy a-piller garnish for my Accord. should have been $5. local salvage yards wouldn't even sell it. said it wasn't worth their time (closed yard, employees only). i spent 4 months looking around slavage yards to find simple a-pillar garnish. but then found OEM for less than $20. recycling has made salvage yards less useful.

i'm referring to what it costs the shop for an OEM. maybe yours is older (don't know year). a 2002 civic panel costs the dealer $200. they would charge you $400. you can find your parts at hondapartsdeals.com. everything on the vehicle for the cost your dealer pays to order it.

i totally agree with you that the panel is worth $40 or so in a salvage yard. finding one is the trick (despite the millions sold).

Yeah my honda is a 98 and I'm in western NYS so the rust eats through just about everything but the interior is usually untouched. There are a few good yards around here, there is one in Horseheads, Binghamton and an alright one in Rochester.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.