Cooling....

Participant count
  • Participant list

Dustin_Kimble

US
Just like the title says, I have a class a amplifier in a place that's proving to be difficult to keep cool to the point I'm considering liquid cooling.

bb8f01bcb1f076ed67b315576baa0620.jpg

The amplifier on the bottom is the one in question, and there's an access lid that goes on top of that, but for the meantime I'm just leaving it off, but in the long run, I want this thing to remain cool.

While exploring amazon and having a cross flow fan overnighted, I ran across thermoelectric cooling pads. It's basically a ceramic heat pump that gets cold on one side and hot on the other. This would be absolutely perfect for water cooling pads. I've ordered a few and will be experimenting, hopefully being able to route the heat outside of the vehicle. These pads may even have more uses than amps. What about placing them underneath the cup holders, making for a built in beverage cooler..... Back to the amplifier though. Besides moving the amp, this is not an option, let's let some ideas flow....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Raise the amp up about an inch from floor with rubber mounts(if not already)add a fan or two,recover with panel,cut out one or two small vents on the panel.I channeled the incoming air with the framing of my amp rack but you can easily do that with pvc

,cover the vents with some type of grill.I used a pvc drain cover about 2-3 inches in diameter painted.and see what happens.I'm using two small stinger fans.one placed on each end of the amp.they get the job done but I can hear them slightly on low volume

Liquid cooling I wouldn't go with. What happens when there's a leak that you may not know about before it's too late?

I would go with a few fans myself....push pull style.

I've always wanted to try non-conductive mineral oil submersion...... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

I've always wanted to try non-conductive mineral oil submersion...... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif
I could imagine the theft deterrence that would provide as well. I wonder how the tubes would react with that? My amplifier has tubes in it..... I don't think they like to be cooled.

I could imagine the theft deterrence that would provide as well. I wonder how the tubes would react with that? My amplifier has tubes in it..... I don't think they like to be cooled.
those damn tubes...magic and shit

those damn tubes...magic and shit
There's a certain warmth to the music when I play anything acoustic. It sure sounds like magic... Really makes me want to find a way to hook my etymotic er4's up to that amp, but I'm pretty sure it would make them puff......

Well I went ahead and purchased 10 thermoelectric cooling pads, 3 watercooling blocks, a dual fan PC water cooling radiator and a waterpump. I managed to stay under $50 with all of that, and if I don't wind up using it for the amps, I'm absolutely sure I'll find another way to play with them.

Raise the amp up about an inch from floor with rubber mounts(if not already)add a fan or two,recover with panel,cut out one or two small vents on the panel.I channeled the incoming air with the framing of my amp rack but you can easily do that with pvc ,cover the vents with some type of grill.I used a pvc drain cover about 2-3 inches in diameter painted.and see what happens.I'm using two small stinger fans.one placed on each end of the amp.they get the job done but I can hear them slightly on low volume
I wanted to do this but the rear panel will potentially have something sliding around on it. I'm concerned whatever cargo I may have will either block the holes, or debris will fall into them.
5dbb618ba94ba51cec865ef8ec060517.jpg

This is still very much unfinished, please don't thrash my box yet, it hasn't been covered in carpet yet.

20150824_170028.jpg

I'm concerned whatever cargo I may have will either block the holes, or debris will fall into them.
5dbb618ba94ba51cec865ef8ec060517.jpg
This is still very much unfinished, please don't thrash my box yet, it hasn't been covered in carpet yet.

just to give you an idea of the vent grill which is a drain cover from home depot.I already know I no longer have a trunk so cargo blocking it or covering it wasn't an issue for me.

just to give you an idea of the vent grill which is a drain cover from home depot.I already know I no longer have a trunk so cargo blocking it or covering it wasn't an issue for me.
Yes, but i still have a good deal of cargo room and the entire reason the box, amp and power placement is the way it is. I've only lost 14 inches from the bottom of the rear of the seat. 6 1/2 inches depth measured from the top of the seat if I were considering whatever I was putting back there wouldn't go any further than that.

Is that the subwoofer enclosure?
Yes. Dual 12 down firing with 3.06 cu ft of air space. I may have smoothed out the 06 by caulking all the corners ??

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.