Coolant leaking

nateberrier
10+ year member

Douche, Ohio
I have coolant leaking from the front of my Chevette. The thermostat, radiator, and hoses have been replaces. The leak seems to be coming from the front of the engine block. It only seems to leak when the car is running and drips pretty fast. My diagnosis is the water pump but I wanted to see if anyone else thought differently. Possibly a freeze plug or head gasket? I dont think so for either but Im no engine mechanic either.

I got a pump because my first thought was the water pump, I really havent had time to look at it in the daylight so i havent been able to check the oil, mostly i was hoping it wasnt a freeze plug and wanted another opinion.

Where are freeze plugs typically located? I know the engine usually needs pulled to replace them. I just got off my ass and checked the oil, I dont see any coolant or water in the oil on the dipstick. Im doing a change tomorrow so Ill know that for sure. It doesnt smoke when its running and actually runs well at this point, Being that it seems to come from the front my guess is the water pump but there is a cover so i cant see the pump at all. I get the windshield tomorrow and i guess thats when ill be doing the pump. It sat for about three years without a radiator and a small amount of coolant/water in the block, has a new thermostat, radiator and hoses.

Its a G5. What motor is it. And is the leak on the left or right side. SO say you are facing your car. motor in front of you. leak on the left or right. How many miles do you have on it. Anf reeze plugs lol. Id go with water pump first or INTAKE gaskets first. Or even that intake plenuim gasket if its the 3.9.

No sir, its a Chevette, the G5 is fine engine wise. 86k on the vette. New thermostat and radiator. the leak is coming from the front of the engine if im facing it, I cant tell if its the pump because its covered up, I drove it around because it hasnt really been moved since I worked on it. After driving it for probably a half a mile, I let it sit running, and then off and there really hasnt been any further leaking, I still suspect the water pump (i bought one).

And no I didnt mean 'vette, I meant Chevette, 1986 1.6L 3 Speed auto 2DR hatchback,

24496_1294487315201_1020847011_30680286_6321662_n.jpg

24496_1294499635509_1020847011_30680331_7983558_n.jpg

Has a windshield and minus the A/C now BTW

PS its a tallblock inline four. 90% its the water pump unless of course the freeze plugs are in the front too.

And no I didnt mean 'vette, I meant Chevette, 1986 1.6L 3 Speed auto 2DR hatchback,
Has a windshield and minus the A/C now BTW

PS its a tallblock inline four. 90% its the water pump unless of course the freeze plugs are in the front too.
O I know the car. Worked on a few of them. Couple of local farm kids have them for work cars. Fun little car it is.

Im banking its the water pump. Have you tried to pressure test it. Kits like that are cheap and could always use one down the road. Also the freeze plugs will be along the block. Most likely will be on the passanger side the way the block is slanted to.

I tore the front off the **** thing today, it was the pump. I wish I had just taken it to someone though. Had to take off the timing belt to get to it, also found out the main is leaking. Thats the nature of the beast though, hopefully after this ill be done though.

I tore the front off the **** thing today, it was the pump. I wish I had just taken it to someone though. Had to take off the timing belt to get to it, also found out the main is leaking. Thats the nature of the beast though, hopefully after this ill be done though.
make sure you have the timing procedure before putting the timing belt back on or you will be in some trouble lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.