Contemplation: Best box for Two Type-R 12's?

robertark
10+ year member

Alpine Fan
I've been contemplating on which type of box to get for my Type-Rs (M# SWR-1242D).

Here's what I'm wanting to use the most (from best to worse):

1. 33Hz-Tuned ported box
  2. Sealed box
  3. 45Hz-Tuned ported box

I'm thinking I really shouldn't even consider the 45Hz-tuned box, mainly because I'm not going to be playing test tunes in SPL comps. I'm wondering if in all honesty, pushing these subs @ their rated power (500RMS each, using the MRP-M1000 amp).

Would anyone else have any recommendations or suggestions?

any ported box will be better than sealed my type r's wanged my quality sealed box apart so I bought it ported not only does it sound much better but its not gonna implode

Id say your order is correct. The R's seem to like ported, and 33hz would seem to be good, as you should peak around 36 or so. I personally like sealed also, and if it wasnt for the R's liking to be ported, I would say that depending on preference, sealed can be just as good....and I dont know why 45hz would even be considered unless it was a comp only box

TMali: Can I ask why you chose 34Hz as opposed to 33? Or is there not really a noticeable SQ & SPL difference?

SourDeez: Hah, are you saying your Type-Rs imploded your sealed box? I've heard of that happening with a 5/8 MDF, wasn't sure if it was a true story though.

kr15: Thanks -- yeah, I was going to buy one earlier today, but decided not to until I read up more on ported boxes a bit more. I had a general idea of what I wanted, and have always used sealed boxes, but after reading that the type-rs best perform in ported versus sealed, I'm going to give ported a try. So, yeah, I guess it would be best to find something ranging between 33-35hz.

Thanks for the replies, though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

TMali: Can I ask why you chose 34Hz as opposed to 33? Or is there not really a noticeable SQ & SPL difference?
once apon a time, i had some 12" type r's and they like the higher frequencys, like up to 38hz(alot of prefabs are around 38hz)

as for difference between 33 and 34...non really, but it should be easier to find a 34hz box

I have another question. I'm looking at the Alpine MRP-M1000 specs, and it shows that the RMS output @ 4ohms is 600Wx1, or 1000Wx1 @ 2ohm load.

If I'm not mistaken here, on the Type-R application diagrams, it's showing that for one amp/two subs (running @ 4ohm) would only run 300RMS per sub. Is this right or am I overlooking something here?

Or, is it possible to run the subs in 2ohms @ 500RMS each?

I'm confused, never had to work with such a vast array of applications here!

Thanks!

I believe that with 2 dual 4 ohm voice coil subs that you can wire to either 4 ohm or 1 ohm final impedance. I may be wrong though. I have 2 type r's as well but mine are dual 2 ohm voice coils and I have mine wired to a final impedance of 2 ohms.

Hmm.. I'm just kind of confused how so many people use the MRP-M1000 use it on the two type-rs, but maybe thats for the dual 2ohm? What about the dual 4ohm? Did I get ripped off here? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Hmm.. I'm just kind of confused how so many people use the MRP-M1000 use it on the two type-rs, but maybe thats for the dual 2ohm? What about the dual 4ohm? Did I get ripped off here? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
If you have D4's, yes, you're screwed with that amp. Sell it, return it, whatever...and buy a good 1ohm stable amp.

If you have D4's, yes, you're screwed with that amp. Sell it, return it, whatever...and buy a good 1ohm stable amp.
I haven't bought an amp yet, because I'm not sure what amp to get -- any suggestions of a decent/good amp for these subs?

What I was wondering if I got screwed by is buying the 4ohm type rs. Or is there no diff between the 2ohm and 4ohm versions?

I haven't bought an amp yet, because I'm not sure what amp to get -- any suggestions of a decent/good amp for these subs?
What I was wondering if I got screwed by is buying the 4ohm type rs. Or is there no diff between the 2ohm and 4ohm versions?
You can get the Audiopipe 1500 or 1800 if you're on a tight budget. There are a lot of amps in the $200-300 range, so we need to know what kind of money you're working with.

So buy a 45hz tuned box for these subs??
Isn't that a bit too much (in my list its last/not even considered.. too high tuned??)
He was being sarcastic, because a box tuned to 45hz will not hit the lows well. Look for something tuned to 33-35hz, no reason to look elsewhere.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.