Confused? What direction should a sub face in a hatch?

2HighPsi
10+ year member

md
Im building a custom box in 93 talon hatch and have always thought in a hatch the sub should be facing up at the rear glass. A few people have told me to have to sub facing directly towards the back of the car. What I wanted to do was have the sub facing the glass slanting down slightly as the glass does do you think this will work good?

Well if your going with a single sub then face it towards the rear but if your going with 2 or more subs then face them up. With a hatch you can build a custom sub floor subwoofer cabinet facing up but it's not worth doing if your going with a single sub unless it's a super woofer that needs a lot of air space.

dkc62 pretty much nailed it, if you're going with one, face it rear, with two or more upfire them, whatever you do don't have it facing front

In hatchbacks Ive seen the most is the subs facing up towards the glass and the port facing the latch but those were all at SPL competitions, so for sq i wouldnt know.

dkc62 pretty much nailed it, if you're going with one, face it rear, with two or more upfire them, whatever you do don't have it facing front
Thank you.

The reason I said 2 or more is because 2 of the subs will be closest to the rear hatch so the sound waves would be hitting half of the glass and half of the hatch giving it excellent bass reflection. Kinda like sticking a sub 3 inches away from a wall.

With the size trunk you have you can build a sub cabinet with either four 10's or four 12's or two to three 15's and you will shake the neighbor hood. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

I don't notice a difference any way I turn my subs... hell they sound fine sideways

Thats because your enclosure is sealed, Car Audio and Electronics did a test about the placement of sealed enclosures and stated that it didnt matter, the result was the same no matter which way they positioned it.

The sub is a 15" rf power t1. The box is going to be ported. So the sub and the port should face back?

Just one sub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Just remember that if you decide to invert you need to flip the + and -
Only if there's a combination of inverted and non-inverted subs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif With one, the wiring is the same...

I was just talking to the guys who is going to build the box. We are going to have the sub facing up at an angle going down to follow the window. Then we are going to put a port at the bottom of the box facing the trunk

Thats because your enclosure is sealed, Car Audio and Electronics did a test about the placement of sealed enclosures and stated that it didnt matter, the result was the same no matter which way they positioned it.
i dont think thats entirely accurate unless they used different cars for each test and such, seeing as different cars have different designs and will sound different. you can get waves cancelling if you face your subs towards the seat, therefore it would sound different, it would be less loud.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.