Cone Area vs Xmax: For a Daily Setup

CJL
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
oZone
I know xmax has little to no effect in a SPL application but, lets say a 10" sub has 25mm xmax and a 12" sub has 12.5mm xmax, which should get louder in a daily application if both subs has similar specs?

For daily, especially in a sealed alignment, the sub with higher xmax does have the advantage in terms of SPL, especially down deep. "There's no replacement for displacement" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I was thinking about the same thing today. And was wondering about the relationship between Sd (surface area of the woofer) and the xmax. Was surprised when I actually looked at the Sd of a few different woofers of the same size only to find out they were different.

I was thinking about the same thing today. And was wondering about the relationship between Sd (surface area of the woofer) and the xmax. Was surprised when I actually looked at the Sd of a few different woofers of the same size only to find out they were different.
Both are equally important. A woofers SPL ability is just that, it's ablility to cause pressure variations, the more air you move the better. Whether its 1 large cone moving only a little bit or a cone of 1/2 the size moving 2x as far is of no consequence. vd=xmax*sd

The 10 is going to get louder, it will probably just require more power to do so.

The claim that xmax doesnt matter at all for SPL applications is also false. It DOES matter, as it does with any application, but it isnt the most important factor.

Now bear in mind, when we are talking LINEAR output, regardless of enclosure, that is determined by displacement (Sd x xmax)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.