Condensation

Anniku989
10+ year member

Thats what she said
Ohio
Due to a unforeseen circumstance last night, I had to take my subs out (Filming, and it ****** a 10page packet stapled together into the box). To my dismay, I looked at the subs, and the whole back of the motor which used to be shiny chrome, was covered in rust spots. The whole motor/boot was covered in water droplets from condensation, as well as water spots on the bottom of the box (meaning it's been happening for awhile). The voice coils looked a darker purplish color, but everything sounded fine after wiping them down, warming them up, and playing them. Now the rust spots don't really surprise me, as the pole vent on the motor was raw material, and not covered. I did take the boot off, and scuff pad the rust off, and put a nice thick layer of wax on everything, hoping to protect the bare metal.

I honestly wouldn't have noticed anything if I didn't take them out, they sound just like they had when I got them this summer. Although they seem to play fine, this still worries me. Any suggestions on what to do to prevent this? Shall it be alright for the speaker?

How bad are we talking? I just removed my 3 year old RE SE 10s and had "similar" results.

DSC03683%20(Medium).JPG

DSC03690%20(Medium).JPG

I'm in Florida so humidity is a big factor.

Sealed box?
Seal your trunk better. Don't put wet or snow covered objects in the trunk.
No, vented, look in sig...

Although I'm out skiboarding every weekend, you'd be crazy to think I put ANYTHING in my trunk, with hundreds in equpiment, there's no way I'm letting anything bounce through the cone.

clear coat it?
What, the back of the motor? I'm thinking about it...

How bad are we talking? I just removed my 3 year old RE SE 10s and had "similar" results.

I'm in Florida so humidity is a big factor.
Yup, just like that. I dunno what RE was thinking, leaving raw uncoated metal throughout the whole pole vent

Edit:

I'm not even worried about the rust really, just want to know if it'll hurt the voice coil or anything, or burn it up

I doubt they're overheated, I don't really drive for more than 5-6 songs, and I've been having electrical troubles lately (stock battery, and such), so I'm sure they haven't even been getting the rated rms yet...

How should I seal it up better? The inside of the windows in the cabin don't freeze up, so that's sealed... How should I do the trunk?

you cant do anything about it ....cold beer can effect.....the metal gets very cold from sitting overnight in winter you warm up the car and put the heater on ....condensation:D

you cant do anything about it ....cold beer can effect.....the metal gets very cold from sitting overnight in winter you warm up the car and put the heater on ....condensation:D
Yup, thats what I figured...

Will it hurt the subs though?

Just an update, I got all the rust off, and clear coated the back of the subs real nicely.

And I'm now sure that the voice coils are fine, as whenever I've thought about 'copper' voice coils, I always assumed them to be a bright shiny copper color, but I think they're fine. They look EXACTLY as this one does, and it seems to be normal

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285470

Edit:

I meant to say I clear coated the back of the motors on the subs, not the cone or anything...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Anniku989

10+ year member
Thats what she said
Anniku989
Ohio
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date