Comps **** at low power?

maylar
10+ year member

Electrical Weenie
Connecticut
OK, just finished installing my Kicker RS5 components. Not done tweaking the amp yet, but so far I'm unimpressed. It seems the midbass is not as strong as the Infinity Kappa coaxials that were in there. How is this possible? The main reason I went for the Resolutions is their reputation for midbass.

At low volume they're quite anemic. Once I turn them up though, they come alive. Midrange is really clear and natural. I think I'll be able to lower the hipass on them considerably from where the Kappas were set. But I don't always play the system that loud.

Is this a typical consequence of components? Should a good set of coaxials sound better than $300 components at low power?

what are the mids in??? if they are in a door put a whole bunch of dynamat behind them, or any similar material.

maybe check ur gain levels, or go and tweek with the settings. Sometimes when u have a cheaper speaker (like a stock one) compared to a good speaker, the cheap one will sound louder at lower volume levels, only because it takes less to et it going.. i think it just needs some tweaking and ull be ok. let us know.

yeah id check somethin....i have the same components and the inability to get loud is definantly not a problem for me. The midbass for me is pretty **** good. Obviously nothing great since they are 5 1/4". Im very pleased with mine.

I don't think he is complainging about them not getting loud... I think he is complaining about their anemic sound when the volume knob is down low...

I think that may just be a flaw of the driver in your setup. the only way to get around it is to give them more power (makethem louder) or put the mid into an enclosure of some kind...

you could try giving them a bigger frquency range but im not sure if it will help.

The speakers are in my doors and sealed well. There's 2 layers of RAAMmat 60 in there. I also have the factory foam rubber and a layer of RAAMmat on the inner panel. That was all there with the coax's too. The only thing different I did was to put a 1/4" Lexan mounting ring under the speakers so the grilles would go on easy (doors are padded).

Only other thing I can think of is the XTC foam baffles... anybody have experience with these affecting the sound? They're suposed to be acoustically transparent. They surely didn't hurt the sound of the Kappas.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.