Components

MobileLightning

Im coming to the forum to ask advise about components. I recently basically bought a complete new system. Now have a Pioneer 80prs, CDT 6.5 Com 626 components, and 1 Sundown 8" in a CSTStang enclosure (Awesome). Well my mistake, the components didnt last (completely on me). What would you suggest? Ive heard good about Helix, Hertz, HAT, and ID.

My concern is that the CTD stated that they were 160 watts rms. I dont think i was near 160 watts. Most of the other components are rated lower than the CDT. Im currently running a PP 900.4 amp on the components. Regardless, I need new components. What would you suggest?

Thanks,

Jeremy

How were the components set up. Cross over settings and amp and deck settings. You prolly burned the coils from clipping not over powering. Also what's your electrical look like and what car ?

The components were set up in stock locations. The crossover was set in the middle (I think 0). The amp was set in the middle for Gain (so I assumed (which is bad) that it was about 118 watts). The electrical was rewired by me. RCAs from the radio to the amp and 12 awg speaker wire from the amp to the door crossovers. Then stock tweeter wiring....and 14 gauge to the 6.5.

Thanks for the help,

J

The components were set up in stock locations. The crossover was set in the middle (I think 0). The amp was set in the middle for Gain (so I assumed (which is bad) that it was about 118 watts). The electrical was rewired by me. RCAs from the radio to the amp and 12 awg speaker wire from the amp to the door crossovers. Then stock tweeter wiring....and 14 gauge to the 6.5.
Thanks for the help,

J
Half gain don't mean half power

Maybe that was my problem (I'm an idiot). I set all the settings at 50% (thinking it would be safe).
If you have 4v preouts 1/4 it's topped out.

Come out the the USS Alabama March 27hz and I'll hands on show you everything. And you will get to see a good event.

Hertz HSK and up

Hybrid Clarus and up.

If I wasn't a Hertz fanboy I would use HAT. The HSK has better midbass than the LE6SE though.

I wouldn't Touch ID after powerbass bought them out.

Maybe that was my problem (I'm an idiot). I set all the settings at 50% (thinking it would be safe).
was it not loud enough for you? I have my gains at 1/4 and my ears give out before i can put it up anymore. Keeping up with my 18s easy. Might need some better sensitivity drivers than CDT especially their lower line which is not that good for the price...

COM626CR components are the cheapest CDT offers. I hope this experience didn't sour the brand in general for you as they make much better performing speakers. I have to agree based on your description of the amplifier settings that the speakers probably died due to excess heat from clipping. They should have been quite loud with the gain set to the highest voltage mark and the radio volume turned up higher.

was it not loud enough for you? I have my gains at 1/4 and my ears give out before i can put it up anymore. Keeping up with my 18s easy. Might need some better sensitivity drivers than CDT especially their lower line which is not that good for the price...
Yes, (embarrassing), I was showing out. Plenty loud enough, gave me a headache afterwards. As stfated before, completely my fault.

J

Thanks man. I looked at the Hertz HSK 165 but the RMS was 125 Watts. The CDTs was (supposably) 165 watts. Dont want to blow another set.
J
When I ran them active before I got the XLs I had 75 per tweeter and 150 per mid. You listen to music not sine waves. But if you don't set the stuff up right it will cook a 400 watt set

COM626CR components are the cheapest CDT offers. I hope this experience didn't sour the brand in general for you as they make much better performing speakers. I have to agree based on your description of the amplifier settings that the speakers probably died due to excess heat from clipping. They should have been quite loud with the gain set to the highest voltage mark and the radio volume turned up higher.
No Hard feelings about CDT. The quality was very good for 2 days (that is not sarcasm). I am sure this was all my fault. For the records, until they fried, they were very good sounding components. I considered going with a higher line of CDT.

To be honest, when I bought the CDTs, I also bought the radio, the sub, and the box......since that is long gone, i can now spend more on the 6.5s. If SDTs are one of the tops, have no problem going back. If there are better, might as well upgrade now. ont want to spent thousands though.

Thanks, J

When I ran them active before I got the XLs I had 75 per tweeter and 150 per mid. You listen to music not sine waves. But if you don't set the stuff up right it will cook a 400 watt set
I have a lot to learn. Ill see you at the Alabama in March.

Thanks again,

J

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.