Components for Alpine pdx-5

Harry Wild
10+ year member

Here is the specs for the Alpine pdx-5 shown below:

5/3 Channel amplifier

75 watts RMS x 4 + 300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 or 2 ohms

150 watts RMS x 2 + 300 watts RMS x 1 in bridged mode (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)

Variable high- and low-pass filters (30-400 Hz, 12 dB/octave)

Alpine Class-D amplifier design

Stackable installation design with front-panel controls

Quick-connect speaker connectors

Preamp-level inputs

MOSFET power and output stages

Fuse rating: 20A x 2

B5 Size:10-3/16"W x 2-1/2"H x 8-7/8"D

**********************************************************************************************8

Is the amp's RMS to weak for Hertz HSK 165, rms is 125 watt 6.5" Speakers?

I am looking at the Phoenix Gold RSd 65cs RMS 60

6-1/2" Radial Sd Series 2-way Component System RSd65cs too!

Or how about the Alpine SPX-17REF(RMS 75) or SPX-17PRO(RMS)100

Or Polk Audio MM6501(RMS 100)

Any other component you can suggest?

I look at cost/benefit of the component and sound quality!!

I kind of decided after reading about the Polk Audio SR series that they are the ones to get! I cannot believe the prices however but since I spending $550 for the amp why not spend double that for the speakers - $1,000.00

I am such a cheapstake but I am in the mood to do it!

But I was just wonder if this is wise to do!

Install the SR5250 in the front and the SR6500 in the rear!

****Or should I use a cheapy 6X9 in the rear with the SR5250 in the front!

What difference will there be in sound quality?

Hertz HSK165 would be a nice choice
I have considered them but all the reviews that have the HSK165 in them;--------

the Polks win hands down.

"Its like my shop sell Hertz HSK165 and I listen to them all day but after work when I drive away I love my SR6500s even more!"

I got several of these remarks from installers online. On is posted here.

So I kind of tricked into buying them!

I kind of decided after reading about the Polk Audio SR series that they are the ones to get! I cannot believe the prices however but since I spending $550 for the amp why not spend double that for the speakers - $1,000.00
Retail. You can get them around $350 on eBay.

But I was just wonder if this is wise to do!
Install the SR5250 in the front and the SR6500 in the rear!

****Or should I use a cheapy 6X9 in the rear with the SR5250 in the front!

What difference will there be in sound quality?
Not in my opinion. What kind of vehicle is this going in? If it is a somewhat smaller car then a component set up front will be plenty. If not, there is no reason to drop that kind of dough on rear fill. Usually, you will want to fade to the front when using rear fill anyways.

Not in my opinion. What kind of vehicle is this going in? If it is a somewhat smaller car then a component set up front will be plenty. If not, there is no reason to drop that kind of dough on rear fill. Usually, you will want to fade to the front when using rear fill anyways.
It going on an 1991 Honda Accord SE! It currently has 4" speaker in the side and according to Honda's Part Dept. 6X9" in the rear.

It going on an 1991 Honda Accord SE! It currently has 4" speaker in the side and according to Honda's Part Dept. 6X9" in the rear.

I going to have them installed. I don't think I could fit it in a 4" pod mounted. I would have to remove the pod and maybe drill holes in the door to attach the 6" speakers. That why I was thinking SR5250 - the 51/4" size would be better. I like to use the factory covers too but I don't know if it is possible with the 6".

What do you think?

If you are spending 550 go with the Hertz MLK165 I have. I'd take them over the SRs any day.
Oh well I will see if there is a comparision with the Hertz MLK165 and the Polk SR6500! I never thought of upgrading to the next level in the Hertz line!

Thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.