Complete rewire: recommendations needed

Participant count
  • Participant list

SwedishChef

Hi guys, my 1995 Range Rover Classic has seen better days, but I'm ready to tackle the ICE system and get her sounding good. Problem is, it's British electrics and so far they've caused me no end of trouble. The truck is gradually getting to the level of nut-and-bolt restoration. So the time is right. Since I don't want to use the 20-year-old wiring and fuss with the factory 'closed loop' system, I'm going to completely rewire the whole ICE.

I'm confident enough to do the job, but I've never done it before. I've replaced entire wiring harnesses before, replaced speakers and head units before, but never built a system from scratch, and this is where I need help.

I'm looking to buy new speakers, new amp, new head unit, and of course new wiring. I'm not after crazy bass or super volume, I just want a balanced and refined sound that can go loud enough to drown out the hum of my Magnaflow exhaust, and I want to be able to stream music and take calls wirelessly from my iPhone 5c... normal Bluetooth and an external mic would do the trick.

No factory steering wheel controls to fuss with. Don't need a CD player. Don't need a DVD player. Don't need GPS. Don't need a touch screen. Slot in single-DIN. Don't need any fancy graphics.

The truck is advertised as having a 7-speaker system, which I presume includes the following:

• A-pillar tweeters (x2)
  • Front door mid & tweeters (x2)
  • Rear cargo ceiling mids (x2)
  • Single grill cover above factory sub (x1)

I am going to build a new custom box to replace the existing sub. Other than that, I'd like to replace only the existing speakers (unless anyone recommends otherwise).

I need help with the following things:

• Which speaker brand / line will give me a balanced (not bass-heavy) sound?
  • Any particular wire I should use?
  • I need a basic, compact amp.
  • I need to get an idea of how much power I should be shooting for. (Factory system was 250w and felt fine to me)
  • Any recommendations or tips for sound insulation?

While I'm doing all this, I will have the entire interior out for cleaning. Seats, carpets, trims, everything. So at that point I plan to install some sound deadening material as well. I basically just need to know what to buy to get a balanced and refined sound without breaking the bank. I'd say my budget is about $1k, but that's flexible.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Maybe a arc audio xdi 1100.5 for you. Components up front rear Mids and a single 10 like a tantric md 10 , also a pioneer dehx8600 stinger wiring or sky high start with 0 gauge wires to a 0-4 gauge adapter a good agm under the hood and big 3 kit this set up would run you more than $1000 tho

So I've just re-wired my other car and am feeling a little more confident with this one, and have been learning a bit. Basically, I'm thinking about going with a basic HU like Pioneer MVHX560BT (it has Siri control, which I'd use a lot, and no CD, which I would never use, but also has 6 pre-amp outs).

I'd go with a component system so I can replace the tweeters in my door... looking at the Polk Audio Dxi-6501, and I would install those in the front and back for a total of 4 speakers. I'd run all new wiring to the speakers. Now I need to figure out which amp and how many channels I need, which sub, and whether I should go 'bridged' for the sub. It looks like the Polk (sorry I've been told Polk is decent stuff) PA D5000.5 5-channel amp would suit my needs—I'd rather use a single amp for speakers AND sub than 2 separate amps because it should be easier to wire (unless anyone recommends otherwise for any reason).

Also, for the sub, I'm looking for accurate and balanced sound reproduction—not hip-hop booming bass. I'm not even sure I need a sub at all, and in this particular car, it would actually be very nice to have the space instead. So what do you guys think? Should I get a sub or not? If not, I think I only need a 4-channel amp right?

If you've been running a sub, you will notice the difference not having one. Take a look at a Sundown E 10d2(wired parallel for 1 ohm). It would work perfect with the 5 channel you listed.

If you've been running a sub, you will notice the difference not having one. Take a look at a Sundown E 10d2(wired parallel for 1 ohm). It would work perfect with the 5 channel you listed.
Thanks. The truck had the factory system in when I got it... 4 mids, 2 tweeters, one sub (they call it the "7-speaker" system). It never sounded very good even though it was the factory Harmon/Kardon package, so I won't really have much to compare it to. The whole thing is wired like hell and impossible to use, so I'm going to replace the entire system.

That Sundown sub looks pretty good. Since the existing sub box is taking up a lot of space in the back, I might try to see if I can relocate it somewhere else and get that space back.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.