Comp choices: Morel, Hertz, JL, Alpine

chrisnben
10+ year member

Looking to put in a new comp set in my sedan. Listened to Morel Dotechs and JL ZR's already. I liked the Morels better, but would like comments on the Hi Energy Hertz and Alpine SPX-pro line. I assume these are comparable in price in all. Thanks guys- it's been a while since my early '90's MB Quart and Soundstream stuff. BTW, how are the MB QSD line or Alpine SPX F17T- 3way?? to much $$?? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Looking to put in a new comp set in my sedan. Listened to Morel Dotechs and JL ZR's already. I liked the Morels better, but would like comments on the Hi Energy Hertz and Alpine SPX-pro line. I assume these are comparable in price in all. Thanks guys- it's been a while since my early '90's MB Quart and Soundstream stuff. BTW, how are the MB QSD line or Alpine SPX F17T- 3way?? to much $$?? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif
Are Alpine pros available now?

You can't go wrong with the High Energy HSK 165 component set. Especially if you are on a budget. If you have more money to spend the Mille line is simply awesome! If you want to stick with the High Energy line, I would recommend using the High energy 165 midbasses with the Space 1 tweeters. I just installed a set in my car and all I could say was WOW!!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif:crazy://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif Go with the Hertz man!!!!

I have the Dyn mw162's for midbass duty only and they perform VERY well.

Granted your install will have to be good to get proper midbass out of them, but they are a great speaker.

I think your only drawback is that you're not getting to listen to these speakers in your car, with your install.

As for the Alpine x pros... I would check them off the list if you're planning on buying anything soon. They were already supposed to be out... seems Alpine is just taking their time with those.

From all of the feedback, and trusting other ears without hearing first, looks like a no brainer for the Hertz's. I will post with results, thanks all!! Ben //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Well, been listening to comps lately. Got to hear the Mille HSK 165's- very nice. Great mid-bass, smooth highs. Just a little out of $$ range. The dealer didn't carry the Hi-energy line, but I was thinking of the 3-way system. Costs around $450, not $600 and the specs are close. I guess the JL and Alpines are out- I am finding a silk tweet is my bag w/ the Hertz line. Anyone hear the Hi energy 3-ways yet? thanks

I would implore you to listen to the JL C5's. After I purchased them, my friend and audio retailer who's pretty close with JL's lead engineers said JL told him the C5 woofer is actually quite a bit better than the ZR's. All in all, the C5 came out a better sounding speaker than the flagship ZR's. Obvioulsy they don't want that getting out much because they gotta sell ZR's to keep them from collecting dust on the shelves.

Other than that, I too would reccomend the Morel's or Hertz. Phenominal speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.