cold weather and subs

Annex
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ohio
I live in NE Ohio..getting pretty **** cold here..I was wondering if the cold effects wheter or not I can trun my subs on. I'm assuming I shouldn't, so I haven't yet...would you recommend not turning them on at all or letting them warm up? Thanks in advance

I personally take out all my **** for the winter, because of a few reasons. One, my car rattles like a bastard when it's cold out, two i am weary of wearing out my **** or the cold weather(I mean COLD, I live in Canada //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif ) and because I really don't care to listen to stuff loud really too much in the winter, because I need to focus my attention more on the road when it's icey and whatnot.

(And I don't know if it was just regular wear or not, but my old W1s started to crack and split real bad after a few months of cold pounding.)

I usually try to play my subs at a low volume for a while before i crank em up. i dont know if it actually does anyhting, but i figure itll give them and my car a chance to warm up.

I would like to hear more about the cold weather affecting subs. I am getting a Hifonics BX1500D + RE XXX 12". It will be in a ported box. Is there any certain precautions that I need to take to not ruin them? Should I take them out? Should I just wait and get subs this spring? Any pointers related to this would be great. Thanks.

P.S. I live in Duluth, MN, so winter temps can range from -40 up to 30 degrees F

Considering some materials expand when cold, it is safe to say some of your stereo equipment is going to be effected by the colder tempertures. It wouldn't hurt to let your stereo run for a good few minutes at low levels in cold weather.

I worry about the flexibility of rubber surrounds and cone materials in the cold. Not just for subs, but my components too. Haven't had anything break yet but I tend to take it easy on them on brutally cold days. Besides, I need the electric power for defrosters and stuff. Winter sux.

I was just thinking about this topic this morning. I noticed my subs were a little different. However, I live in the Sunshine State of California. Where winter is approx. 40 to 60. Thats like summer basketball league time in Canada right?

-XXX will need to warm up a lil. I the surround on those subs are very good but I do think that they need to warm.

-comps. will also need to do the same thing. It is ok to run ur system in the winter but just take a lil precaution.

Well I say its fine..and its because I've been running systems for 4 winters now and I have yet to have a single problem. My amps like the cold and my subs...once they are warmed up seem to enjoy it as well. Plus it helps clear the snow off your car.

Warm your system up just like you'd warm your car up...

In your neon fold down the back seat and let some cabin heat get in there if your worrried.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.