Cleaning an amp circuit board ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

bigbswa

MONSTER
TX
I have an older amp that still works just fine. It had a plexiglass back on it to display the board but it cracked and I removed it and left it. It has sat in my garage on a shelf collecting dust and spider webs for awhile. I took my air compressor and blew air across the board removing most of the dust and junk the other day. But it needs to be wiped down for a cleaner look before I put a new plexiglass piece on.

Before I wreck something, what is the best way to clean the board? Is there a liquid or wipe that I can use on the board without causing any damage?

Thx for the help.

100% acetone too. you need something that has an extremely fast evaporation rate.
Acetone is what I always use but you still need to be cautious.It will eat the finish on some amplifier heatsinks and it will dull the hell out of plexiglass. It will also take the writing/part numbers off of some components as well but when used right it is a great cleaner for circuit boards

What do you guys use as an applicator? Clean rag? Qtips? Cotton balls?
Thx again for the help.
As suggested above, 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol works well.
Usually a rag is too imprecise. I usually use a bunch of cottonballs and Q-tips, just work around sharp parts and solder points because the cotton will snag and make a mess.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.