Clarion DRZ-9255 or Alpine CDA-9887 for Active?

Participant count
  • Participants list

firey_kimchi
10+ year member

I have both H/Us and am going to be starting a new build. I'm going to go active (which I haven't done before) with SSA Evil 1 tweeters in either the A-pillars or front doors and SSA Evil 6.5s in each of the front and rear doors. I had the 9887 in my previous car connected to an iPod by the 30-pin connector and the 9255 was in my wife's car connected to an iPod by a 3.5mm cable. The 9887 controls the iPod functions but the 9255 doesn't (have to use the iPod to change songs). The 9255 was just serviced (replaced the CD player mechanism, capacitors, LEDs, and felt). Which would you choose to run active?

Personally I would use the Clarion as those are very rare and expensive units even today. Figure on at least 500-800 for a used one without refurbishing.

That unit was basically the same as the Denon, Macintosh and one other that all had that 9255 in there model name. High end units that sound absolutely awesome.

I was originally leaning towards the Alpine because I didn't know if the 9255's AUX input for the iPod (3.5mm cable) would be an issue with getting the full RCA 4V output. If I went with the 9255, should I do a 3-way or 4-way? In a 4-way, I'd have the SSA Evil 1 (tweets), Evil 6.5 (mid range), Evil 6.5 (mid bass) and subwoofer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...