Clamping a Rockville rxd-m3

inteva6184

Senior VIP Member
pa
Just figured id let you guys know how I made out with the rockville in case someone is looking for a budget amp. I have it wired to 2 sundown 8sa-v3's at 1 ohm and I tested it with no clipping at around 13.5 volts and it made 611 watts rms at 35hz. I replaced it with a cab 1600.1 I didnt have time test it tonight hopefully I get it done this weekend.

Just figured id let you guys know how I made out with the rockville in case someone is looking for a budget amp. I have it wired to 2 sundown 8sa-v3's at 1 ohm and I tested it with no clipping at around 13.5 volts and it made 611 watts rms at 35hz. I replaced it with a cab 1600.1 I didnt have time test it tonight hopefully I get it done this weekend.
thanks i wish someone would clamp my autotek., isn't that amp supposed to be 1k at @1ohm (i know 14.4v) but still seems low don't it.. let me know how cab does got 1 for friend he hasn't wired it yet..

My birth sheet said 1003 but like you said at a higher voltage and that's at 1 ohm I don't know what my subs are at 35hz. I don't know enough about box rise. I'm not thrilled with the results but not super disappointed given how cheap the amp is.

On a side note it did better than the cab will considering the cab kept going into protection this morning every time I turned it up a little.

My birth sheet said 1003 but like you said at a higher voltage and that's at 1 ohm I don't know what my subs are at 35hz. I don't know enough about box rise. I'm not thrilled with the results but not super disappointed given how cheap the amp is.
On a side note it did better than the cab will considering the cab kept going into protection this morning every time I turned it up a little.
check your grounds bud. Whats your electrical like? What gauge/brand wire are you using?

whats your head unit setup like as well? Settings etc..

Ground seems good bolted to clean metal. Wires are 0AWG but they're some cheap brand. So more like 2. I have not done the big 3 yet it looks like factory is 4awg and it's a 200 amp alt. My hu ran that same test tone with no clipping all the way to full volume and subwoofer level at 6. When I was trying to set the gain my subwoofer level was 0 and volume down 5 clicks. My lpf is set to 63hz.

After it started going into protection I put my dmm on the amp terminals and found the volTage dropping much more than it did with the rockville and with not much more output. It dropped to 12.8 and then went into protection. I feel like that amp should run all day at 12.8 not that it's optimal for power but it shouldn't go into protection.

dude dont say that,, figure that cab problem out please cause whenever this kid i'm helping gets his new truck or whatever he doing and runs 0ga and does big3 and all i don't want him yelling at me.. yeah the rockville should do like 850 at 14.4v anyway.. not that i was getting one if i spend $ it'll be on something with 5 start reviews like rf ppi.. amps are weird prices have changed in past month., my cheapo $70 amp is $110 now thats more than 50% increase rf 500 went from $109 to $115 to 119 to 121 to 126 to 129 in 2weeks maybe it's just because it's spring or something..

How the hell are you (clamping) these amps (cleanly) and not knowing the reactive ohm load. Are you just using a volt meter? If you dont have an o scope and an amp clamp they are not accurate readings.

you're better off listening for loudness, clamping is effective to an extent but there's much more to it. the way you set your filters alone can be huge.

its harder than you think to get accurate acv and ac amps from a meter. ive been pretty disappointed with the tolerances

you're better off listening for loudness, clamping is effective to an extent but there's much more to it. the way you set your filters alone can be huge.
its harder than you think to get accurate acv and ac amps from a meter. ive been pretty disappointed with the tolerances
Its not that hard. Your filters should be open and you test with a 50hz tone unless you have a true rms meter. If its not a true rms meter and you test outside of the 50-60hz range its going to be off. Depending on the frequency it could be off a lot. Using the correct and quality gear is important but understanding how to use it is key.

How the hell are you (clamping) these amps (cleanly) and not knowing the reactive ohm load. Are you just using a volt meter? If you dont have an o scope and an amp clamp they are not accurate readings.
I'm sorry if you thought I was trying to get cea certified numbers this was more a fun little test I understand it's not the most accurate way to do things. This gives me a comparison compared to other amps like I just got the cab up and running so now I know what the differences between that and the Rockville. I do have an oscilloscope and that is how I set my games so I know there is no clipping I didn't use it for any other purpose besides setting the gains though. I also have an amp clamp. Don't they use the same method I did at DB drags?

I'm sorry if you thought I was trying to get cea certified numbers this was more a fun little test I understand it's not the most accurate way to do things. This gives me a comparison compared to other amps like I just got the cab up and running so now I know what the differences between that and the Rockville. I do have an oscilloscope and that is how I set my games so I know there is no clipping I didn't use it for any other purpose besides setting the gains though. I also have an amp clamp. Don't they use the same method I did at DB drags?
what brand is the clamp and multi-meter?

I know for sure my cheap lil home depot and harbor frieight clamp and multimeters give me WAAAAY off numbers vs the fluke clamp meters they use at db drags.

Ground seems good bolted to clean metal. Wires are 0AWG but they're some cheap brand. So more like 2. I have not done the big 3 yet it looks like factory is 4awg and it's a 200 amp alt. My hu ran that same test tone with no clipping all the way to full volume and subwoofer level at 6. When I was trying to set the gain my subwoofer level was 0 and volume down 5 clicks. My lpf is set to 63hz. After it started going into protection I put my dmm on the amp terminals and found the volTage dropping much more than it did with the rockville and with not much more output. It dropped to 12.8 and then went into protection. I feel like that amp should run all day at 12.8 not that it's optimal for power but it shouldn't go into protection.
You have an electrical or connection issue then. you shouldnt be dropping anywhere below 14 volts with a 1600 rms amp if you have a 200 amp alt. Either your wiring is completely insufficient or your grounds arent at a good enough location or you need to do the big 3.

what brand is the clamp and multi-meter?
I know for sure my cheap lil home depot and harbor frieight clamp and multimeters give me WAAAAY off numbers vs the fluke clamp meters they use at db drags.
I'm sorry you had that experience I have not so far. AT my work we tried 3 different clamps and all of them were close I personally tested a fluke 88 multimeter vs a few other multimeters and they were all really close if we're going to split hairs over .05 sure but again I was just looking for some basic numbers. I feel like what we are talking about is weighing ourselves and then arguing it's not accurate because it's not a doctor scale from my experience 90% of cheap multimeters and clams are close to the high-end ones could that be a 30 to 40 watt difference sure but again not looking to get exact numbers more just my experience with the amp with my setup.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.