Civic Engine Question

magic_wizard
10+ year member

Atlanta
I bought a 2000 civic EX coupe used, and was wondering if the dealers jipped me or not. The engine is supposed to be Vtec, and the ones that I have seen in Accords have a big VTECH on it. Mine however just says HONDA. Is this how the civic vtech engines are supposed to look? I'm paranoid about this and think that maybe the original engine was damaged in a wreck, and they put a reg civic engine in there. Needless to say, I will be quite pissed if this is the case.

your engine should look like this.

224920_46_full.jpg

you could also take your car out for a drive and stomp on the gas until you are 500 rpms away from idle, im not sure when vtec kicks in, but i think its around 4500 -5000 rpms, if you feel a difference in power then you must have vtec.

do you have any plans for the car?
Will have a system in it for sure. I have all the stuff, but just need to install it now. 2 Magnum D2 12's for subs and CDT components.

As for performance upgrades, I am broke. I want to do stuff, but it will have to wait a while. What all have you done to yours? I noticed the AEM air intake, but what else? Do you like it?

I bought a 2000 civic EX coupe used, and was wondering if the dealers jipped me or not. The engine is supposed to be Vtec, and the ones that I have seen in Accords have a big VTECH on it. Mine however just says HONDA. Is this how the civic vtech engines are supposed to look? I'm paranoid about this and think that maybe the original engine was damaged in a wreck, and they put a reg civic engine in there. Needless to say, I will be quite pissed if this is the case.

The 2000 EX has a D16 single cam VTEC engine.

ugh, a single cam VTEC.. those are for gas saving, not for power, as I know it. All the VTEC engines that I've seen (and sometimes owned) were dual cam. The engine in that pic looks like it'll make maybe about 125HP.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif If it's the older style motor EXACTLY like in the picture that wErd posted, that motor is the D16Y8; the engine code is on the front-end side of the engine block right by the transmission. It is a single-over-head cam 16-valve V-TEC 1.6 liter. The V-TEC system only works on the intake side, and engages at 5,000 RPM. Only the twin-cam V-TEC engines have the V-TEC on both intake and exhaust.

Recomended setups:

All motor and more affordable (Street leagal in most states):

AEM intake; Greddy header; Greddy or Tenabe cat-back; Crower stage 1 cam+springs & retainers; HonData engine tuning.

Forced-induction (Street leagal in most states):

Edlbrock turbo kit (Comes w/intercooler) or Greddy turbo kit + intercooler; Crower stage 1 cam+springs & retainers; HonData engine tuning; Quife differential.

Planning a high-amp system? Recommend upgrading the alternator and battery with after-market ones as soon as possible; stock ones are kind of weak.

Save up or do it a piece at a time as money permits.

Good luck with it. Later.

i have a honda civic hatchback(1998) its a 1.4 engine with 89bhp. is it possible it replace it with a Vtech from a sismilar model or do i need extra ajustments life exhast and gearbox. i just need extra torque.

i have a honda civic hatchback(1998) its a 1.4 engine with 89bhp. is it possible it replace it with a Vtech from a sismilar model or do i need extra ajustments life exhast and gearbox. i just need extra torque.
didn't know honda made 1.4l engines.

VTEC's are very very low on torque... but if you want horses in your civic, yes, a transplant to a 1.6 or perhaps even a 1.8l VTEC would be what you're looking for.

Yes, you need to get new exhaust pipes done and stuff. Your current gearbox might not be able to stand the output of the VTEC, so better to buy the engine and the tranny as a set.

you can feel when the VTEC kicks in and an EX has a tachometer power windows all the good stuff.....and an all motor honda is a waste of money boost that ***** http://www.homemadeturbo.com all the information to make a 300whp SOHC honda with very little money.....read up and thank me later //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i heard its not a good thing to turbocharge a vtec. i dont know if its true, but thats what i heard.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.