circuit breaker or fused distribution block

Well, they both do the same thing. I would think the CB would give you a little more flexibility, ie no changing of fuses. However, I haven't seen too many CB that are under 30 bucks, so for each fuse requirement you are spending some cash.

I personally like the look of the fused distro over the CBs, but that is purely cosmetic.

I like either one. I have fuses in my car and my brother has a CB in his. The nice thing about the CB is everything is inside of the box, meaning it would be pretty hard to accidently short it to ground. Plus, with the fuse you have to take the plastic top off, then remove the fuse, put the cover back on, then put the fuse somewhere that you won't lose it... With a CB you press a button....

Well, they both do the same thing. I would think the CB would give you a little more flexibility, ie no changing of fuses. However, I haven't seen too many CB that are under 30 bucks, so for each fuse requirement you are spending some cash.
I personally like the look of the fused distro over the CBs, but that is purely cosmetic.
i have 2 amps a 1200 watt sub amp and a 640 watt 4 channel, currently one (the sub amp) has a tsunami fused block with ANL fuse in it 1 gauge in single 4 gauge out. the other amp just has a small plastic inline fuse holder, what i am trying to do is 1/0 gauge into either a C/B or fused dist block then 2 4 gauge lines out to the amps.

Every time you use the CB as a switch you reduce its reliability. The most important thing in circuit protection is reliability. Me personally I wouldn't trade the reliable protection of my car for a tiny bit of convenience. If you want to install a CB as a switch, use it for that alone. Install a fuse as well to provide failsafe protection.

Every time you use the CB as a switch you reduce its reliability. The most important thing in circuit protection is reliability. Me personally I wouldn't trade the reliable protection of my car for a tiny bit of convenience. If you want to install a CB as a switch, use it for that alone. Install a fuse as well to provide failsafe protection.
I do not recall asking about a switch! i did not even know that a circuit breaker could function as a switch! I am simply trying to clean up the wiring to my battery so i do not need 2 seperate power wires with seperate fuse blocks going to the battery. if i do one wire (1/0 gauge) from the battery into a fused block or circuit breaker and 2 (4 gauge ) wires out of the block to the amps it will look alot cleaner, my only dilema is a single CB (140 amp) or a 1 in 2 out ANL fused block with a 100 amp fuse and a 60 amp fuse in it for each amp. i am looking for opinions on which is better.

If you really want to clean it up install a single ANL fuse or CB (it will work fine as long as you realize that it shouldn't be used as a switch to kill system power when you are working on it) under the hood with 1/0 in and out and then run the 1/0 to the trunk where you use a fused distro block that will protect each circuit individually.

i have 2 amps a 1200 watt sub amp and a 640 watt 4 channel, currently one (the sub amp) has a tsunami fused block with ANL fuse in it 1 gauge in single 4 gauge out. the other amp just has a small plastic inline fuse holder, what i am trying to do is 1/0 gauge into either a C/B or fused dist block then 2 4 gauge lines out to the amps.

I don't really know of any "two way" CB type thingys. you would probably need two of these http://www.darvex.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SCB135&Product_Count=1

(proper rating of course)

Couple those with a 0 ga T block (1 0ga in, 2 0 ga out) and then run your 4ga off of each CB to the amp(s).

As far as using a CB as a switch, should be no problem, I do it all the time and the CBs I do it on are nothing special. Like you said, you are not planning on using it as a switch so no biggie.

What I am not sure about is, if a CB pops at its rating or a percentage above, like a fuse does.

I don't really know of any "two way" CB type thingys. you would probably need two of these http://www.darvex.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SCB135&Product_Count=1
(proper rating of course)

Couple those with a 0 ga T block (1 0ga in, 2 0 ga out) and then run your 4ga off of each CB to the amp(s).

As far as using a CB as a switch, should be no problem, I do it all the time and the CBs I do it on are nothing special. Like you said, you are not planning on using it as a switch so no biggie.

What I am not sure about is, if a CB pops at its rating or a percentage above, like a fuse does.
that is exactly what the shop is tryin to sell me, he said i only need 1 140 amp CB, he took my amp ratings and figured out that both amps combined at 12 volts will need a total of 128 amp protection and at 14 volts it will be even less so 140 is a safr, he told me to put eyelets on the 2 power wires going to the amps on the one side and 1 eyelet on the single 1/0 wire comming from the battery to the other side and its ll good. i kinda like the look of the ANL fuses though but after all it is under the hood about 10" from the battery so who will see it any way as long as it is functional and safe and works properly. as soneone else here suggested, i can always install ANL fuse blocks at each amp on the amp rack.

Two questions, do your amps have internal fusing and how long is the 1/0 prior to the split?
yes, both amps have internal fusing. they are both hifonics (brutus and Zues) and the 1/0 is about 10" long befor the split, the current fuses are next to the battery on the fender well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

atwistd1

10+ year member
atwistd1
New York, NY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from