Check out what came today!

What kind of 'noise' are we talking about? Where will it be coming from?
Likely a hum, or a buzz, coming from the amp itself. The harder an amp has to work to get the correct voltage out, the more likey it is to introduce a bit of noise. When I say coming from the amp, I mean originating from it; you'll hear it through the sub.

It's usually not a big issue, and you might not even hear it. Or, it might not even make noise. You might want to find an amp that lists its low level input sensitivity as xV - 2V or so; that way you will have less of a chance of introducing noise from excessive gain. But I'm not sure how many quality amps(quality as in not loud, don't distort the music) there are that only rate up to 2V low level.

Low level input = RCA cables.

Not a huge fan of the looks of Sony's or Pioneer's headunits but more power to you, I live in MN so maybe at some odd hapinstance we could meet or something, maybe local audio shows or something.

9 times out of 10 you almost never want to listen to your friends on ANYthing car audio related, this tip will save you time and money, just stick around here and open up to what know-how we have for you!

Welcome.

Its alright, but I cant wait until I get the new pioneer 80 prs myself. Ive already seen the new 9400 which is almost identical to the the new 80prs. It looks really cheap, but im still getting it. lol

Also, op sounds like he's a come back member //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

Likely a hum, or a buzz, coming from the amp itself. The harder an amp has to work to get the correct voltage out, the more likey it is to introduce a bit of noise. When I say coming from the amp, I mean originating from it; you'll hear it through the sub.
It's usually not a big issue, and you might not even hear it. Or, it might not even make noise. You might want to find an amp that lists its low level input sensitivity as xV - 2V or so; that way you will have less of a chance of introducing noise from excessive gain. But I'm not sure how many quality amps(quality as in not loud, don't distort the music) there are that only rate up to 2V low level.

Low level input = RCA cables.
Yeah, I've got RCAs to use on it...

I'm looking at Kenwood 900w RMS amp to overpower the sub I get by a little bit. It's input reqs are .2V-5V (Min-Max)

And if I overpower my sub, won't that help keep the hum quiet, because I won't have to crank the gain near as much?

Yeah, I've got RCAs to use on it...
I'm looking at Kenwood 900w RMS amp to overpower the sub I get by a little bit. It's input reqs are .2V-5V (Min-Max)

And if I overpower my sub, won't that help keep the hum quiet, because I won't have to crank the gain near as much?
That just allows for more headroom on the amp. If you install your equipment correct and dont buy garbage, there wont be a hum. The gain isnt a volume knob.

That just allows for more headroom on the amp. If you install your equipment correct and dont buy garbage, there wont be a hum. The gain isnt a volume knob.
What're you talking about? I'm fully aware the gain isn't a volume knob. If I'm interpretting him correctly, he's telling me that the higher my gain level is, the more present the 'hum' will be.

Since my amplifier will be overpowering my subs regardless, I'll be able to keep the gain lower, making the 'humming' less present.

What're you talking about? I'm fully aware the gain isn't a volume knob. If I'm interpretting him correctly, he's telling me that the higher my gain level is, the more present the 'hum' will be.
Since my amplifier will be overpowering my subs regardless, I'll be able to keep the gain lower, making the 'humming' less present.
In theory yes, but if your install is done correctly you shouldnt have to worry about a hum at any gain or volume level. Also doubt any new kenwood amp does 900 rms

when i had a 2 volt preout with my rockford forsgate t1500-1bdcp it hummed a little bit, nothing that was even noticeable when sealed in the trunk. you literally need to be sitting right next to it to hear it. gain was inbetween the quarter and halfway point.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.