Cheap Shallow 8s

Participant count
  • Participant list

JFossTheBoss
10+ year member

Hey,

I'm looking for a pair of 8s. I'm looking to go as shallow as possible (4.75" max), but keep the price at around $100 or less. Going in a sealed enclosure.

They'll be powered by a Soundstream Stealth 1200. Rated at 1200wrms @ 1 ohm or 700wrms @ 2 ohms. I'm sure these numbers are a little high, but its all I have to work with. Figured I'd run two dual 2 ohm subs at 2 ohms to the amp.

Right now I'm looking at ...

Elemental Designs e3.8 (only $40, but not very good customer service reviews?)

Sundown Audio e8v2

Incriminator Audio I 8 (haven't found much on these)

Definitely open to other suggestions! Would like to stick with the less common brands, but would go with a household name if quality and price are right.

SA e8s? or ED e3.8? I'm assuming SA, but really liking that ED price point. Little over half the price with shipping factored in.
SA E8.. those EDs might be ok to play around with at that price....but doubt they will perform very well.

The e3.8's are on sale for 40 bucks (being discontinued). eD told me a pair will take 500 W if you're careful...
Yeah, thats the only reason I'm considering them. Where in CT are you at? You ride with these? You like them? How much power are you sending them? My amp puts out 700 at 2 ohms, so even with my gains all the way down I'm afraid thats too much. I'd rather not have to switch amps.

Yeah, thats the only reason I'm considering them. Where in CT are you at? You ride with these? You like them? How much power are you sending them? My amp puts out 700 at 2 ohms, so even with my gains all the way down I'm afraid thats too much. I'd rather not have to switch amps.
I have 2 of them in a .65 cu ft sealed box, as recommended by eD. With 250 watts they're not loud enough in my well-insulated Buick. eD says 500W max for the pair but I don't think that's the solution. I'm gonna try a ported box and see if that works better. If not, they'll prolly end up in home theatre enclosures. I'm in Wallyworld.

Guess I'll stay away from them then. Thanks for the input.

You guys think I should run two dvc 4 ohm SA-E8s at 600wrms each or two dvc 2 ohm SA-E8s at 350wrms each. They are only rated for 200wrms, but videos on youtube have them running at 800-850 each. For the most part I will be playing them on moderate (low for most of you guys) volume, but I will definitely get the urge to let them pound on occasion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.