Changing subwoofer wattage

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ronoman
10+ year member

Hi! I am looking into getting a PSI 12in with about 1800w RMS.

Right now I have an Alpine 1100w that I would use to power it, until I had enough money for a 2000w amp. My question is could I put 1100 in for like 2-4months then switch to 2000w and not blow the sub?

Basically should I do

Amp then sub or sub then amp?

Thanks

Putting less than RMS (if clean) will do nothing except help break the suspension in. This is a great move. Often times when running very high power, people will play new subs less than full tilt for a bit to loosen the suspension up before running them full. You are in essence doing the same thing. No harm done, just make sure she sees clean power.

There is nothing wrong with putting less rms into a sub, set your gains properly, that is, dont try to force the amp to do more than what it can do or you will damage the sub.

Alright. Awesome. Thanks guys! My friend that says he knows car audio said if I run it on 1100 it will get used to that. If I go to 2000 later on it would break is what he said.. haha

Thanks

ok, im going out on a REALLLLLY long and REALLLLLY thin branch here, but i can say i actually experianced something similar to this. i pulled some 6.5" subs from an old 2.1 computer system a few years ago. rated RMS was 50W each(labled on the bottom of the VC), but they were only seeing ~25W each from the 2.1 amp. so i built 2 boxes smaller than their factory enclosure(factory enclosure was 1.4cubes internal volume not taking into account driver displacment, the enclosures i built were .6 cubes external volume with .5" MDF again, not taking into account driver displacment). now i threw both of them in my trunk and wired them to 2 ohms. set the gains on the TMA 500.1 i had at the time to deliver 80W to the pair. after 30 min of driving to work, one sub popped. and on the way home the second popped.

now i never actually looked into what happened, but the coil was visibly charred. and the TMA 500.1 is rated at 500W @2 ohms. gain was virtually at minimum and it was a clean signal.

BUT in the real world, running a sub at less than its RMS for a month, year, or even a decade, and then putting more power to it will cause no harm at all.

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.