Changing Enclosure Tuning

OC*SS
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
SoCal
I had an enclosure built for me previous car, 95 Chevy Impala SS. It was tuned to 45hz (35hz "relative to me car's trunk" whatever that means). The bass wasn't low enough for me. It is a ported enclosure, with 2 long aero ports going in each side of the box. If I wanted to put it in my Avalanche, is it possible to change the tuning for lower bass?

tune lower....your ports would have to get longer
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. As it is the ports go almost all the way to the wall in the middle so I guess it's not an option.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. As it is the ports go almost all the way to the wall in the middle so I guess it's not an option.
Plug one port, and your tuning frequency will drop by a lot. I can't tell you how much, but easily 15db is possible (45 to 30).

Relative to your car's trunk? What the hell does that mean? Does that mean the box is tuned to the car's resonant frequency? Because if it is, then that doesn't make sense at all.

Relative to your car's trunk? What the hell does that mean? Does that mean the box is tuned to the car's resonant frequency? Because if it is, then that doesn't make sense at all.
I don't exactly know. I sent him a message on here and this is what he told me:

"Your enclosure is tuned to 45 hz in theory and 35 hz in reponse to your vehicle."

That makes no sense and you need to find a new designer. A loudspeaker is simply a system which regardless of its environment has certain qualities. Tuning frequency is one of the innate qualities. While the environment decides how the output is perceived, the tuning frequency itself is NOT environment dependent. It only depends on enclosure volume, port length and port area and if you want to be exact, a factor for end correction. Nothing else.

If an enclosure that is tuned to a given frequency performs as expected in free air, it can behave differently in a vehicle if it's placed within close proximity to a boundary. If the dimension with the vent fires near a boundary and that relationship is maintained for a significant length, it can add apparent length to the vent, thus bringing the tuning down. That's how I would interpret "relative to the trunk" and it would suggest that the person who designed it had at least a clue of what they were doing. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

That makes no sense and you need to find a new designer. A loudspeaker is simply a system which regardless of its environment has certain qualities. Tuning frequency is one of the innate qualities. While the environment decides how the output is perceived, the tuning frequency itself is NOT environment dependent. It only depends on enclosure volume, port length and port area and if you want to be exact, a factor for end correction. Nothing else.
so basically what your saying is if you build a box that is tuned to 32 hz an it plays at 42 you tuned it wrong? lol i find that crazy man i have been building my own enclosures for my car for about 3 yrs now an i was building for spl an your car's resonant freq is important when it comes to competing. it sounds like to me the guy who designed an built this guys box was trying to get this guy loud on the meter an not daily bangin.

if you wanna drop your tuning it solely depends on what size your aero's are if 4 if your box is 2.5 or a lil higher if you plug one port that will drop your tuning wayyyy low. good luck with what you do though bro an pvaudio no disrespect bro i wasn't trying to come at you at all even though that how it may have sounded but it wasn't intended.

so basically what your saying is if you build a box that is tuned to 32 hz an it plays at 42 you tuned it wrong? lol i find that crazy man
I find this comment crazy...what point are you trying to make? Tuning frequency is tuning frequency, the speaker will play anything you throw at it(within reason, let's just say 1-100hz). It's the box and how the sub responds to the box that decides how those frequencies are reproduced.

I certainly hope my 28hz tuned box can play at 42hz...and 35hz...and 50hz. I fail to see the line of logic you're using right here.

The "tuning" of the box is constant to what you tune it to...
The PEAK (loudest freq in a vehicle) of the system is vehicle dependent..

Very different things..
If an enclosure that is tuned to a given frequency performs as expected in free air, it can behave differently in a vehicle if it's placed within close proximity to a boundary. If the dimension with the vent fires near a boundary and that relationship is maintained for a significant length, it can add apparent length to the vent, thus bringing the tuning down. That's how I would interpret "relative to the trunk" and it would suggest that the person who designed it had at least a clue of what they were doing. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
so basically what your saying is if you build a box that is tuned to 32 hz an it plays at 42 you tuned it wrong? lol i find that crazy man i have been building my own enclosures for my car for about 3 yrs now an i was building for spl an your car's resonant freq is important when it comes to competing. it sounds like to me the guy who designed an built this guys box was trying to get this guy loud on the meter an not daily bangin. if you wanna drop your tuning it solely depends on what size your aero's are if 4 if your box is 2.5 or a lil higher if you plug one port that will drop your tuning wayyyy low. good luck with what you do though bro an pvaudio no disrespect bro i wasn't trying to come at you at all even though that how it may have sounded but it wasn't intended.
I know all of this already and you need to utilize it well in designs. However, the guy who designed it should have asked if the customer liked it loud to the ear or loud to the mic. Clearly this kid likes it loud to the ear, so tuning to 45hz is asinine. So yes basshedz, I think I have a bit of experience in enclosure design. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

And ciaonzo, you're giving this guy WAAAAY too much credit. He wanted a simple ported design and he just failed, that's all. He didn't give the customer what he wanted, and since what customer wanted is pretty simple, I don't see how he gets off saying "relative to the car's trunk". //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

so basically what your saying is if you build a box that is tuned to 32 hz an it plays at 42 you tuned it wrong? QUOTE]yess you box should only play 32 hz tones if tuned to 32 hz LOL

so basically what your saying is if you build a box that is tuned to 32 hz an it plays at 42 you tuned it wrong? QUOTE]yess you box should only play 32 hz tones if tuned to 32 hz LOL
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif:laugh: I'm not too sure where he got that.

And ciaonzo, you're giving this guy WAAAAY too much credit. He wanted a simple ported design and he just failed, that's all. He didn't give the customer what he wanted, and since what customer wanted is pretty simple, I don't see how he gets off saying "relative to the car's trunk". //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Haha, I thought I explained it pretty well. I was just saying that if the designer knew that the box had a physical tuning of 45Hz and he was able to tell the customer that the effective tuning would be closer to 35Hz because of it's partnership with the trunk, that might suggest the designer is not as incompetent as some think. That's all. I'm not saying he did what the customer asked or that the customer is happy with the result, simply commenting on one aspect of what was brought up. Maybe the failure was in the communication between the two parties and yielded this result. I've ordered a cheeseburger without ketchup before, only to find that they gave me extra. Doesn't mean that the cook didn't know what they were doing. Sometimes we don't see eye to eye and one person thinks he knows what the other person meant when he said what he said.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.