changing amps=change wires????

4jb
10+ year member

i have an mtx thunder 1000D running my two strokers. I want to buy two JBL BP1200.1 1200-Watt Subwoofer Amplifiers. I have a 95 nissan maxima that has had the MTX hooked up to it. If i install two amps what kind of problems will this present to me? alternators? battery power? etc???

Seeing that, that is a smaller car it prob. has a small battery and a small alternater need to replace all that and run nothing less than 4 guage to the power block!

Originally posted by liwaj79 Seeing that, that is a smaller car it prob. has a small battery and a small alternater need to replace all that and run nothing less than 4 guage to the power block!
pulling 228A through a 4 gauge isn't a good idea.

Originally posted by Roberto the most important thing is your alernator and after that you can add anything you want #4g wire distribution blocks, capacitors, Etc........
this is bad idea too. You need to check the total current draw THEN figure the wire sizes

Do you know cars are made for granny? they are design to go from point A to poit B, they are not design for John doe to put a munster car audio if you think this is a bad idea you should spend 18 years working with cars and 10 being a electronics technician. why figure wire size? the best wire you can use is up to now is the number 4 gauge do you know anything about cars? why figure current draw unless you havent work with car stereo before? dont make me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by Roberto Do you know cars are made for granny? they are design to go from point A to poit B, they are not design for John doe to put a munster car audio if you think this is a bad idea you should spend 18 years working with cars and 10 being a electronics technician. why figure wire size? the best wire you can use is up to now is the number 4 gauge do you know anything about cars? why figure current draw unless you havent work with car stereo before? dont make me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
if you don't look at wire gauge compared to current draw that = fires and voltage losses. for you to be in the field so long and not know that is odd. what do you mean best wire up till now?? you use what ever size the current dictates. You should also know that standard practice is to limit losses to less than 2%. please go ahead and school me -- as your not making any sense

are you paying atention? he is going to use amps not a washer and drier and a home theater if he is then he needs to use a #0 gauge. Im not arguing with you but you are the one not making any sense. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif cuz also depends on distace, he has a small car not a yaht.

OK if i'm so wrong --- through a 4 gauge tell me how much voltage drop 228A causes ---- if not an instant fire:banghead: Hell rate that drop in % loss please

Originally posted by Roberto are you paying atention? he is going to use amps not a washer and drier and a home theater if he is then he needs to use a #0 gauge. Im not arguing with you but you are the one not making any sense. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif cuz also depends on distace, he has a small car not a yaht.
you would need much more than a 0 gauge at 12v to power just 1 washer.

don't know about you guys but I see 1.15v drop which is a 9% loss and wire temps way over 200 degrees but hey where not runing washers right

settle down guys. Where could i find some 0 guage wire. I have not seen this around anywhere. Or could i run seperate 4 guage wires from each of the amps to the the car battery? Would that work?

you need 3 --2 gauge wires OR 2 ---- 0 gauge for 228A Look around the net or E-bay. Most 2 gauge can be found in a car audio store but they charge WAY TOO MUCH.

I cant imagine you would need 2 1/0 gauge wires to run 2 jbl 1200s. That seems a little excessive for 200 amps. Isn't 4 gauge rated up to 180 amps of capable draw. I 2 gauge would probly be fine since thats such a small car, but if you wanted to spend the extra money you could go ahead and put in 1/0 and be sure your not losing any voltage.

Originally posted by mr4pto I cant imagine you would need 2 1/0 gauge wires to run 2 jbl 1200s. That seems a little excessive for 200 amps. Isn't 4 gauge rated up to 180 amps of capable draw. I 2 gauge would probly be fine since thats such a small car, but if you wanted to spend the extra money you could go ahead and put in 1/0 and be sure your not losing any voltage.
the 4 gauge is 125A @167 degrees, 140A @ 195 degrees the shielding must withstand that temp. 2 gauge is 170A @ 167 degrees, 190A @ 195 degrees. But we are talking about 228A Which 1/0 gauge will pass but at a loss of .45v which is 3.8%

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.