change my amps to JL?....

slick316
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Moore, OK
right now i have two Diamond Audio D5 amps, a 300.2 for my HEX's, and a 1200.1 for my TDX.

at my local shop, the place i got the amps, they have JL. i was thinking about switching the amps from the 300.2 and 1200.1 to the 300/2 and 1000/1, what do you think?

i'll be getting more power to my HEX's, but less to my TDX. the HEX's can take 170watts rms, and they are getting 75watts now, so i think the 150watts from the JL will be a noticeable upgrade. but here is the story with the TDX and 1200.1. Diamond audio has changed the rated power handling on the TDX, it was 1200watts or so, and now its 1000watts. the 1200.1 puts out 1400watts or so at 1 ohm, so my 12" TDX is getting a lot of power, maybe more than it needs. anyone think the 1000/1 will make my TDX sound noticeably lower in volume?

the shop said that they will give me credit on my amps, and with an extra $50, i can get the 300/2 and 1000/1.

btw, i'm a little wierd, i hardly keep things long, unless i like them A LOT, my HEX's and TDX i love, so those are keepers, but my amps, well, i can't say i love them, so thats why this whole "switch" mode came over me.

btw, i'm a little wierd, i hardly keep things long, unless i like them A LOT, my HEX's and TDX i love, so those are keepers, but my amps, well, i can't say i love them, so thats why this whole "switch" mode came over me.
you will be wasting ur money and u will see no audible difference in amps.

you will be wasting ur money and u will see no audible difference in amps.
u dont think double the power to his comps would be a noticable difference.

What about a larger diamond audio comp amp. i like to keep things the same too. if it isnt a big deal why not just switch the smaller amp.

yea, i do like keeping things the same, because i plan on making the amp rack look nice, so i think amps of the same brand look nice.

how about this. i know that the diamond amps only except upto a 5 volt input, and i think the JL can take upto 8 volts, now do the amps make much difference? lets say i can 8 volts to the JL via a line driver, will that make it better than the diamonds getting the 5 volt?

in all honesty though, if getting a 300/2 will make a big improvement, i'm gonna get the 1000/1 to match it up.

also, diamond has a 4 channel amp, the 300.4, thats 150 x 2 @ 4 ohms bridged, but i'll have to pay more if i trade in the 300.2, i think its $100 more.

SLICK316.....honestly ud be wasting ur money for a minor difference. Unless ur not happy with ur components i dont see a reason to get new amps for the little extra watts that u dont need.

the 300.2 makes 75 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms, the 300/2 makes 150 watts x 2 @ 1.5-4 ohms, so i'll be getting double the power to my HEX's with the 300/2.

for reference, the 1200.1 makes 1200 watts x 1 @ 1 ohm.

in that case yea u will notice a little increase in output of ur speakers. not worth changing amps In my opinion. Unless ur not happy with the output of ur speakers...cuz 75 watts is plenty.

the sub should act pretty much the same, your mids and highs will improve. 8 volts is nice but after you get enough gain over the noise floor i really dont think you will hear a difference

listen to capone this one, JL is not worth it in this situation at all
why would u say jl is not worth it, for only fifty bux. if it were any other brand and it doubled the power for only fifty more would say it wasnt worth it.

The JL 1000/1 will most likely give you well more than 1000W, as I've seen bench's of it pushing close to 1600W (IIRC).
Are you sure about that? That doesnt sound right to me considering they have such a highly regulated power supply that they say they will put out the rated power from anything like 4ohms down to 1ohm no matter what the input voltage is. This just doesnt sound right to me. Allthough I had a fascinating idea today tho, i got to thinking, what if you could somehow "hack" into the regulating circuit of the amp and make it put out more power by making it see a different input voltage or ohm load than there really is? Im sure its possible, just think of how much power they could put out if someone was to do this. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/omg.gif.05aa02c3095d6ce9338996654eca0863.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/idea.gif.5acb6a39a9b92425414c316dda202bad.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.